Review for Port Fairy

I think top 100's ranking of #29 is about right for Port Fairy. Other Australian based rankings have it way too low. Having played in a number of times over the past 20 years I've watched it get better and better. Clayton's changes from a few years ago have made an already terrific course into a fabulous course. If PFGC were in or near Melbourne or Sydney it would be ranked within the top 20. It's that good. It is one of the few genuine links in Australia - think of it as Barnbougle Dunes/Lost Farm's little brother and you'll get the picture. It's a bit short, but it never feels it, because in the prevailing westerly 'breeze', even shortish into the wind par 4's need a long iron 2nd and the small greens mean you need to be precise. I think this is a better course than Barwon Heads - with which it is often compared. Fewer weak holes and a more coherent flow. PFGC has a lot in common in my view with Paraparaumu Beach, another of my personal favourites. Oh, and the stretch from 12-16 is just world class. Fabulous. I cant recommend PF enough. A lot of fun shots throughout, and how they keep it in the condition they do with such a limited ground staff is beyond me. You'd be happy to play this for the rest of your life, particularly when you consider the cost. As a visitor, I paid $25. That's the best value golf of this quality in Australia, if not the world.

Date: October 02, 2014