Review for Portland Golf Club

I enjoyed getting to play Portland Golf Club this past Sunday. It is a gem with a great deal of history. Typical old parkland style golf club with great routing. An interesting bit of history too. The Ryder Cup was basically saved by Portland Golf Club member Robert Hudson who arranged and paid for the British team to play in the 1947 Ryder Cup matches at his home club. The PGA was also won by Ben Hogan the year prior.

We played the course on a gorgeous February afternoon. The course was green and in great shape. The rough was a bit soggy from all the rain in January, but the fairways and greens were pure and GREEN. My personal favorite hole was the short par 4 7th which is an uphill hole over water. Very aesthetically pleasing to the eye as was the downhill 8th par 3. Probably my favorite holes on the course paired with number 9 back towards the clubhouse.

I would highly advise playing Portland if you ever have the opportunity. It was an enjoyable experience. Yes there is a lot of trees, but its the Pac NW, they add to the experience. There was only a few that need to be removed in my opinion. They don't mess with the integrity of too many of the holes.

Date: February 18, 2020