Portmarnock Hotel & Golf Links - Dublin - Ireland

Ireland

• Moira Cassidy

• Bernhard Langer, Stan Eby

• Conor Russell

Portmarnock is the ancestral family estate of the famous Jameson whiskey family. The Jameson’s once had a nine-hole golf course here and the land is now incorporated into the Portmarnock Golf Club and the Portmarnock Hotel and Golf Links.

This is the links that Bernhard Langer designed in conjunction with landscape architect Stan Eby and, in 1996, the Golf Links opened for play. The course borders its illustrious neighbour, Portmarnock Golf Club, but the two courses are separately owned and managed.

For such a new layout, the Hotel Links is a very understated course. There is nothing showy about the design; the natural links land is used simply and effectively. The first eight holes play across gently-undulating ground with definition provided by varied grasses and pot bunkers. Then, around the turn, a cluster of shaggy sand dunes provides a much more pronounced aspect.

We think that Langer and Eby have developed one of the best and most challenging new courses in Ireland; it’s joyous to play a youngster that is so natural and honest. Langer’s comment on his creation was: “There are very few locations in Europe which could have allowed me the opportunity and landscape to design such a classic championship links. I hope all those who play it discover its magic and its challenging beauty.” We thoroughly agree.

Reviews for Portmarnock Hotel & Golf Links

Description: For such a modern layout, the Portmarnock Hotel and Golf Links is a very natural and understated course. There is nothing showy about the design; the natural links land is used simply and effectively. Rating: 8.1 out of 10 Reviews: 37
David Oliver
Truly great value golf. This is a really solid golf course. An amalgam of this and the "main" course would be a top 5 golf course.
June 25, 2013

James
You could spend 45 euros better but you would probably be breaking the law. This course is the best value links course I know of. It is a championshIp test and plays like a links course well over 50 years old. Portmarnock Hotel and Golf Links - Photo by reviewerYou only get the odd place on the course where you might guess this course has been designed by man. You will have to look very carefully though. It is a very honest course with plenty of raised greens surrounded by large run off areas, deep and well placed pot bunkers in the fairway and around the green. Lovely undulations humps and hollows challenge your shot making and although it is largely a very honest transparent test for the first time player if you hit a bad one it's going to be gone for ever. There are some very pretty parts of this course where you could stand and admire the view over the bay or the hole before you for a while. On the whole a good variety of challenges await you here. Well worth a visit. Condition was excellent, true greens. Pristine fairways flat tees. Excellent choice of tees for all standards too. Off the blues it's very exciting! JCB LAY
October 11, 2012

James lay
October 12, 2012
N.B they have lengthened the par 5 13th by 60 yards. From the blues it is huge. Great hole of golf. And more back tees for fourteen too. Nice!
Michael Jones
For the green fee (55 euros as a hotel guest), this course is exceptional value. We played its more illustrious neighbour, Portmarnock GC the day before we played here and I dont think the vast difference in green fee reflects the respective quality of the courses (although Portmarnock is a better track, the Links is more picturesque and more playable). We teed-off on the elevated first tee protected with grassy sand dunes on a crisp, autumnal morning, with sunny, clear blue skies and our fourball hit rasping down the middle - a fantastic moment. The front nine is good but not overly memorable - this course comes into its own on the back nine with some terrific dogleg holes and a cracking 3 hole finish to the clubhouse. I would definitely come back and play here again. The lads behind the bar were really welcoming and provided a great atmosphere on our return to the clubhouse.
September 30, 2012

Hendrik Hilgert
This is a great course in my view. Excellent, well protected greens, many of them raised. Many well-placed fairway bunkers force players to carefully select their tee shots. Overall a challenging course but very fair and fun to play. Unfortunate that the sea cannot really be seen from any of the holes. Course would get 6 balls from me if there were more memorable holes but unfortunately most of the holes look somewhat similar given the uniformity of the landscape. We only paid a Euro 50 green fee which is ridiculously low compared to the quality of the course, this is outstanding value for money.
May 31, 2012

Lorcan Feely
Played here in Mid January and really enjoyed it. No real weak holes when the wind is up. Had the place to myself as no-one on the course. No driving range is a a shame but don't let that put you off playing.It is a little expensive in the current climate and given the fact it is now owned by NAMA.Enjoyed every minute though and some great, true links holes. I thought perhaps 3 and 17 were the weakest with 9, 10,11, 12 and 7 standout in my opinion. Greens were fast and true and bunkers in great shape.If you want a great links experience don't pay for the old course. A quality course and a pleasure to play. Don't let the shortish look of the card fool you!! Wind plays a huge part!!
January 21, 2012

Mariano Martinez de Azagra
Played it in ´08 and ´09. Beautiful and tough links course, especially the back nine. Although the first year I considered The Island to be more interesting, I managed to play it again as a guest in the hotel in 2009 and loved it. And its conditioning is better than other more famous courses such as Waterville. I will play again for sure.
October 13, 2011

Richard Smith
I was hoping that I would really enjoy this course, but unfortunately after all was said and done I felt somewhat let down. The opening holes are somewhat flat and in my mind undistinguished. As I went back over my course guide before this review I had trouble remembering several of the opening holes. Unfortunately, one of the opening holes I remembered the 8th which is a was a ridiculous dogleg over 90 degrees. I find holes like that to be a very amateurish design concept, essentially forcing you into a narrow corridor without any strategic options. The course definitely improved on the back nine, but unfortunately for our group we ran into a gridlock situation and had to wait on every shot and at every tee box from this point in. Our round began at a nice pace and wound up lasting almost 5 1/2 hours, which is something I would expect at an American resort course, not an Irish links. To be fair this was our first round on Saturday afternoon after flying over from the US the night before, so jet lag and fatigue certainly may have played a part in my opinion, and quite honestly I played pretty lousy as well. I would be willing to give this course another chance, but I couldn't rate it nearly as high as the other wonderful links courses in this area. Richard Smith, Knoxviile, Tennessee
August 03, 2011

Shane Derby
August 05, 2011
It sounds like Portmarnock Links was not one of your highlights? It must be said that the condition of the course is not now what it perhaps once was, however, to call the short 8th hole amateurish is to miss its traditional nature! This is one of the original holes on the Jameson estate that Bernhard Langer integrated into his design. Quirky.... yes, old fashioned.. probably, the essence of links golf...undoubtedly. You have two strategic choices, hit down to the corner or whip out your driver and take the green on (you will probably never see your balla again!). Slow play is a blight and occurs regularly on this side of the pond as well. By the looks of it you enjoyed your time in Ireland so please god we will be welcoming you back some time soon!
Richard Smith
August 05, 2011
Hey Shane, I guess you have to give me one bad hair day during an otherwise magnificent 8 day trip to Ireland. I may have been too harsh but the combination of fatigue, jet lag and the glacier like pace did me in. I'll have to rethink my comments on the 8th; in general I love quirky links holes but I thought that one was overdone. Don't worry, I'll be back in Ireland as soon as I can. The golf courses are wonderful and the people are terrific.
James Lay
October 12, 2012
I lost two balls on the eighth. I think it's a very good hole though. condition perfect now 12/11/12.
Andy Newmarch
Nearly seven years after my first visit, I took the opportunity to play the Links at Portmarnock again. At that time I had only played a handful of links courses, now I have played around fifty and I still stand by my original thoughts of this being a very good course – and I probably appreciate this even more now.

An obvious change is the position of the first tee; originally it was very close to the car park and too close to the right side of the hole. Now it has moved 100 yards left, stands high and overlooks the fairway plus a there is a great view back over the 18th green and fairway – a huge positive. Although the front 9 has a par of 36 and the back 9 is 35 …. I think that the front nine is easier to score on. There are plenty of notable holes on the course but my personal favourites start at the 8th; a semi-blind tee shot with the potential for a blind shot to the green (depending on your tee shot length). The 9th looks easy from the tee but is not; a par-3 at only 160 yards (white tee) but with run-offs on three sides and the normal wind against, par is great score. The 11th is another par-3 and after now playing this course eight times since my first outing in 2004, I can declare this as my favourite hole…again not overly long (150 yards from the white tee) with a slightly elevated green that has to be hit as the run-up shot is not really an option – The green slopes from left to right and there is some great use of the land just off of the putting surface that make any chips back to the green very testing; stick the flag on the left of this green and this becomes very tough.

I think the best run of three holes together come right at the end, par-4 16th is all about the tee shot; needs about a 180 yard carry to reach the fairway and depending on the conditions, this is either pretty straight forward or a very frightening. The 17th is yet another tough par-3 that is all carry to the green and to finish the round is a beautiful par-4 at around 400 yards – elevated tee, left to right shape of hole and a protected green on three sides. There are many golfers that would automatically choose Portmarnock’s Old course over the Links course and I can understand that but I am sure many would also have them the other way around. The problem is that the comparison is not just course against course, it is course versus a world famous course with plenty of history and plenty of historical rankings behind it – in time maybe the rankings of both courses will become closer.
July 29, 2011

Steve Whitby
Played 36 hole on 23rd May2011 this has to be one of the best links in Ireland awesome fast greens brilliantly enjoyable test of golf
May 27, 2011

Clayto Jones
This is a wonderful course. On the very wet afternoon (June 2008), when I played it in a two-ball, the fourclowns ahead would not let us through. We had almost six hours in the wind and rain to study it!It is a deeply serious links and I shall return when my bones have thawed and the memory of a tee-shirted ass who took 8 practice swings each time has dimmed.CW Jones, Bendigo, Australia.
November 28, 2010