Review for Portpatrick Dunskey (Dunskey)

I don’t know the derivation of the word gem but I am willing to bet whoever coined it had just walked off the 18th at Portpatrick because if a course ever deserved the gem status it is this wee beauty. It's short, sweet and simple, I am sure that when the wind gets up it could be a bit like your wife when you forget your wedding anniversary but today it was like your Gran’s home baking, warm and comforting. It’s funny, because you get a nose for these sort of things, that you just like the feel of a place when you drive into the car park, the gut feeling was so right, it was marvellous. The pro couldn’t have been more accommodating in fitting in two travellers from Glasgow, sending us out before members and a golf outing which meant that you felt that you had the place to yourself. As implied earlier, the course isn’t too taxing, a bit like Gullane No. 3 it can flatter your golf but its no pushover. There are lots of good holes with the 13th the pick of the bunch a hole that wouldn’t look out of place at North Berwick or The Glen however, with the good there is the poor, it would be churlish to call then bad, with two of the par threes on the back nine, the 11thh and 15th, quite poor. I spoke to several people before I played the course and when I mentioned Portpatricks name a smile spread across their faces and to me that sums it up perfectly as Portpatrick is simply golf with a smile on its face.

Date: April 30, 2006

Read all reviews about Portpatrick Dunskey (Dunskey)