Review for Postolowo - Gdansk

Postolowo is quite possibly the longest course I have ever set foot on so I was mildly surprised when it turned out to be such an enjoyable round of golf. At 7,766 yards from the white tees, the yellows appeared to be the sensible option and after a steady but unspectacular start the course moves up a gear at the attractive 4th, a tricky hole with water on the left and OOB very much in play on the right. Only at this point did we realize that the yellow tees measured a whopping 6,925 Postolowo - Gdansk Golf Course - Photo by reviewer yards and with our Metres to Yards conversion now in full working order we moved up to the slightly more manageable Blue tees at a mere 6,532 yards.

As well as being long and Postolowo sticks in the memory for having some of the best hole names I've ever encountered. Some I'd heard before but "Hookers Corner", "Alcatraz", "Faith Hope and Charity" and "The Shank Bar" were all new to me.

The par four 5th was the pick of the early holes, a strategic hole curving to the right where the brave can attempt to cut the corner but three well positioned bunkers and two ponds make it a risky option. The back nine is the stronger half kicking off with "Black Forest", an attractive but long and narrow tree lined par four and unsurprisingly stroke Postolowo - Gdansk Golf Course - Photo by reviewer index 1 on the card. The 13th is a lovely hole, the fairway running downhill to a green neatly tucked in on the left behind a pond. This begins a fine finishing stretch with no weak holes and water in play on all of them. The 15th again plays downhill before curving right to a peninsula green, this being the only bunker free green in the round and then we reach the beautiful 16th which is one of the toughest par-3's I've ever seen. Measuring just over 200 yards to a raised green with anything left falling away into the water, this was my favourite hole.

At the time of our visit, Postolowo was the pick of the courses we played due to far superior conditioning but it's easy to see why Sand Valley is currently ranked as Poland's number one. Brian W

Date: August 26, 2018