Review for Powfoot

Powfoot has an excellent winter green fee offer that lasts for five months of the year – 22 quid for a round, seven days a week; now that sort of fantastic value is what drew me back to this little charmer on the north shore of the Solway Firth.

Although you never catch a course at its best at this time of year, there was still enough here to remind me why I took to this place eight years ago.

The par three 7th was still as tough to hit and hold (evidenced by my double bogey 5 from one of the many bunkers that ring the green) and the short par four 11th, with its intimidating blind drive over a wall of gorse, is still a tough hole on the weaker back nine.

The putting surface on this hole is one of several (like at holes 9 and 13) that are really undulating but many of the greens today had holes cut less than three paces from the front edge – now I’m all for taking good care of greens in the winter but some of today’s pin placements (especially the one that had to be less than three feet from the edge at the 16th) seemed overly protective to me.

Still, some might say you get what you pay for... Nonetheless, this was an enjoyable return to a smashing wee holiday golf course with a welcoming wee clubhouse and staff to match.

Date: November 08, 2011