Review for Praia D'El Rey

Played this course several times in February 2012 and enjoyed the mix of links holes and those with tree lined fairways which are more typical of Portugal. I was surprised to find that the turf and firmness of the greens on the holes by the sea does bear similarity to British links courses. The pick of the holes by the sea are the 13th, 14th and 15th and whilst I played to my handicap only twice I do think they could add one or two more bunkers to the par 3 3rd &14th and par 4 15th if they wished to develop the Scottish links feel even further. Unfortunately there are a couple of weak holes and they obviously moved the tee for the par 5 12th hole almost into the hotel car park because of problems with the villas – this needs further work in my view. The greens were great when we played – nice and fast but some are frustratingly difficult to hold onto because of the firmness and many are also elevated! Overall a really nice course although if I am “picky” we have all played better and more intriguing links holes in the UK but the location away from the Algarve and this far north of Lisbon results in much more sensible green fees and I rate it a must play! TB h/cap 8.

Date: March 27, 2012