Review for Prestatyn

After an absence of around 15 years since making an annual trip with a society, I decided to return to Prestatyn for some winter golf, as my course dug up 4 greens at the end of 2015, and is also not the best course off-season anyway. After speaking to the friendly secretary, Chris, who advised the course was in great shape and that they pretty much play full tees and greens all year, 2 friends and I decided to go and play.

I’ll cut to the quick and say right now that we returned several times over the next few months and have since all joined as PGC members in 2016. The course is in very good condition and you couldn’t wish for a friendlier welcome, with a core of dedicated members also helping out around the club, so it’s easy to feel at home.

As to the layout, PGC opens with a few fairly featureless holes which serve well to ease you into the round but from the 4th onwards the links really comes into it’s own. The finer grasses from here onwards also create options for a ‘running game’ on most holes (except the 8th which can be wet in winter). Once you reach the 11th, the course really starts to peak and from here to the 18th, you will struggle to find a better stretch of holes anywhere. And then there’s the wind ! ... Most holes play up or down the prevailing wind, so take the good holes when you can and hold onto your score when going into the teeth of it. The par 3 17th can play anything from a wedge to a wood ! The rough isn’t as penal as at some links either, which makes for a more enjoyable round by all. If you are from the school of low single-figures and subscribe to the fact a course has to be tough to be good, and sit in the bar afterwards lauding it was a real test because you struggled to break 80, then probably best to avoid here …. To everyone else I say come along and you will enjoy it ! Prestatyn held both the Welsh Amateur and the British Senior Ladies Open Amateur championships in 2015, where a truly international field gave glowing reports of the course.

I don’t think I can give any greater testament though than the fact that I put my money where my mouth is and joined.

With a small team of green staff, you clearly won’t get the conditions seen at some of the ‘classic’ links but having played well over 200 courses in my time, I’m pretty certain you won’t get a friendlier welcome or better value for money than at Prestatyn.

Date: July 11, 2016