Preston Trail - Texas - USA

Dallas,
Texas (TX) 75248,

• No website available

• 16 miles N of downtown Dallas

• Members and their guests only

• Curt Kelley

• Byron Nelson with Ralph Plummer, Tripp Davis

• Cameron Doan

Site of the Byron Nelson Golf Classic from 1968 to 1982, the course at Preston Trail Golf Club opened for play just a few years before the iconic PGA Tour event was first hosted by the club.

Lord Byron may have been listed as the headline architect at the time but the course was actually laid out by another Texan, Ralph Plummer, a much under-rated designer who, in a 40-year career, constructed or remodelled around a hundred courses, most of them in his native Lone Star State.

White Rock Creek crosses the property and is brought into play on several occasions during a round, most notably at the 422-yard 7th, which dog legs to the right, along the edge of the stream.

Tripp Davis carried out an extensive renovation of the course a few years ago so it’s now well equipped to cope with whatever the modern game can throw at it.

Architect Trip Davis kindly provided us with the following comments:

In 2008 and 2009 we carried out a complete reconstruction at Preston Trail – turned over every blade of grass – putting in new irrigation and drainage systems, sand capping over the original heavy clay soil, building new tees, bunkers and greens, installing new Zyosia grass on the tees, fairways, bunker surrounds, greens surrounds and shaded roughs.

We transplanted about 150 trees and removed about 300. We did not reroute the course substantially, we only moved a few tees and greens somewhat. The course had undergone a lot of little changes over the years, so our overall aim was to restore the original design “intent”, for the most part, as it was originally designed by Byron Nelson and Ralph Plummer.

However, we lengthened and modified the course to better fit the modern game. We also totally rebuilt the driving range, the putting green, and we built a new three-acre short game area. It was pretty much the same scope was building a new golf course. The project turned out well and has been very well received by the membership.

Reviews for Preston Trail

Description: The Byron Nelson Golf Classic was held at Preston Trail Golf Club between 1968 and 1982, before the PGA Tour moved it on to pastures new. Rating: 5.5 out of 10 Reviews: 2
AngelDevil666

With stories of lore that are told of Preston Trail, the legend did not live up to the myth. I expected more and I do not know what else to say. I had been looking forward to playing here for years but it was more panache than substance.

The first 3 holes ease into the course towards the north. I think the long par 3 hole 8 is the only memorable hole on the front. The back 9 are slightly better. 10 is a solid par 5 that is well protected, 11 is a decent par 3 over some water, 12 is a dog leg, 13 is a pretty par 3 that looks like Castle Pines, and 16 is the high point of the course both figuratively and literally. 16 is the best hole on the course that requires a layup or long iron over the water detention.

Personally, I prefer Northwoods 19th hole to Preston Trails. Preston Trail came off cold and not welcoming. We had drinks in the locker room following our round and it was cold and not welcoming compared to other 19th holes.

June 22, 2022

Matthew Ewing

Home lined course not worth the hype only a few good holes 11 and 16 every other hole is mediocre.

March 18, 2021

Kenny Calliger
June 06, 2022

Could not agree with you more. A friend of mine from college is a member. He hyped up the course as one of the best in Texas & I was excited to play it. After playing it this past week I will say I was left disappointed. Not a wow factor course and it is flat home-lined course to a fault.

I’ve played other all mens courses to include: Squires, Burning Tree & Garden City. All of those have great courses & atmospheres. The atmosphere was stuffy at Preston Trail and I felt like I was talking on egg shells. Buffet was ok but the same buffet that is seen across many 19th holes in America. I was hoping for more.

BB
June 07, 2022

Kenny - expect your yokes in the clubhouse cracked everyone up