Prince's (Shore & Dunes) - Kent - England

Sandwich Bay,
Sandwich,
Kent,
CT13 9QB,

Prince’s hosted the Open Championship on one occasion. The winner, Gene Sarazen, only claimed one Open title, but “The Squire” was the first golfer to win all four Majors.

Date Winner Country
1932 Gene Sarazen USA

It was difficult to decide exactly where to rank Prince’s Golf Club because there are 27 holes in three loops of nine, named Himalayas, Dunes and Shore. We've since made our minds up and agree the Shore & Dunes loops form the best 18-hole combination, but only just. Recently we've added a new independent webpage for the Himalayas so we don't do any of the three circuits a disservice.

At the turn of the 19th century, it was decided that a new links should be built at Sandwich, next door to Royal St George's. The new Prince's Golf Club would welcome ladies, juniors and men. Charles Hutchings and Percy Lucas laid out the course on land donated by the Earl of Guildford. The 18-hole course, stretching out to almost 7,000 yards, opened for play in 1907.

The military commandeered the course during both World Wars; it was virtually obliterated during the Second World War. However, in 1932, Prince’s Golf Club proudly hosted its first and only Open Championship. “The Squire”, Gene Sarazen, was the eventual winner. Sarazen continued his winning streak, becoming the first player to win all four Majors.

Sir Guy Campbell and John Morrison were commissioned to re-build Prince’s after the devastation of the Second World War and, incredibly, they were able to save 17 of the original greens and incorporate them into the new 27-hole layout. They have created a classic “links and a half”, with raised greens, rippled fairways, deep bunkers and, naturally, that famous links rough.

Following on from Martin Ebert’s successful Himalayas upgrade, the Shore and Dunes nines have been similarly reworked, including re-bunkering, installation of new raised tees, new open natural sand scrape areas and a new sea-facing short par three on the Shore loop. The work completed in early spring 2020.

The Dunes and Shore loops make up the “championship” course. The Himalayas is shorter but nonetheless, an enjoyable nine holes. Above all, a warm welcome awaits everyone, much as it did it when Prince’s Golf Club first opened, over a hundred years ago.

Reviews for Prince's (Shore & Dunes)

Description: In 1932, Prince’s Golf Club proudly hosted its first and only Open Championship. "The Squire", Gene Sarazen, was the eventual winner. Rating: 7.8 out of 10 Reviews: 67
Ronan O'Driscoll
I played Princes on a beautiful but very windy day in May 2009. We played the Dunes and Shore combination. Our entire group of 20 found this to be an exceptional links course. The landscape is classic links, almost lunar in appearance. The greens were wonderful and the overall experience was excellent. It is clearly worthy of hosting The Open again, but perhaps with it's more famous neighbour, this may be difficult. Prince's is top class.
May 25, 2009

Carl Tushingham
We were lucky enough to play this course on a warm autumn day with little wind which made the course a little easier than it would be noramlly. We played here just after the greens had been spiked as another recent reviewer had and I must agree this took the edge of what is a good course. Some cracking holes on all 3 nine's, for us the best nine was the Dunes. We also played at St Georges on the same day which is another league, but Prince's is well worth playing and I hope to return next year to test myself on there better conditioned greens.
November 02, 2008

J Barber
Prince's is a fabulous course and up with the best links in the country. Off the back tees the course is very long (now 7275 yds of the championship tees) and with the heavy rough it becomes brutal in any kind of wind. In my opinion it's a tougher test than neighbouring St. George's and Deal (as often reflected by the scores on tournaments co-hosted between the clubs). The greens are usually excellent, although the fairways can be a little scrappy in places. With a little tidying up and a few minor tweaks, Prince's would be well worthy of hosting The Open again.
October 17, 2008

max king
After we couldn't get on at Cinque Ports or St George's (no 4 ball play at weekends) we went for Princes. Not bad at all, although not quiet in the same league as places such as Royal Porthcawl or Saunton. The greens had just been spiked which was a real shame as we had heard they were usually very good; it took the edge off the day. Contrary to other reviews our group all agreed Himalayas and dunes was the best combinatio. Would defnately play again but would check the greens were in good nick next time.
September 28, 2008

Bill Howie
October 04, 2008
It was unfortunate that you played the course ar a time when necessary maintenance had been carried out on the greens, every course has to either solid tine or hollow tine greens. We hope you will return for a true impression of our highly regarded greens.
Richard Smith
Prince's is a championship golf course and probably suffers because it is slightly, and I would consider it very slightly, less outstanding than it's two Royal neighbors, St. George's and Cinque Ports. I would consider the Dunes and Shore combination to be the two strongest nines, and these are both excellent nine's without any weak holes. The Himalaya's nine is good, and well worth playing, but probably not quite up to the quality of the other two nines. The land is generally flat, but there are plenty of undulations especially around the greens. The course was playing about as difficult as I can imagine, since spring rains had allowed the rough to grow while a recent hot spell had allowed the fairways to firm up and run out. With a brisk wind it was very difficult to hold the proper line on the tee shot, and a wayward shot into the rough was impossible to find. I'm very glad I got to play Prince's. The ruin of the old clubhouse was sad to see, and I would think that a refurbishment of that magnificent structure would add to the stature of the club, but by all means play this course and enjoy a top rank links. Richard Smith, Knoxville, Tennessee
August 06, 2008

Rod
Wonderful links course. Championship course feel to the fairways and immaculate greens. Each hole is a creative and natural pleasure. One thing I didnt like though was the depth of the rough. Need a weedeater! I understand they cant cut it because of nesting birds. If I was a more accurate player, and could hit more fairways, I would love to play here very regularly.
January 11, 2008

josephus
I played Prince's for a charity day recently, after the June stretch of abysmal weather. However the sun came out for much of the day, although there was enough wind to really make it a challenge.My first links experience (Shore & Dunes loops) and I am hooked (although maybe that is just because I played fairly well?). I love "no gimmicks" golf and that is what you find here. Firm fast fairways and firmer faster greens, all in lovely nick.Only a 5 of 6 because the clubhouse is pretty bland, but a great place to play golf.
July 09, 2007

seb wells
I played all three courses on a pro-am day and found them really enjoyable. I found the Dunes and Shores the best as they had the heritage and never lacked intresting holes. I found the driving range amusing as you were hitting at oil-barrels, but it was well maintained and perfect for a warm up before the round. I agree with the quote that another reviewer left that the cafe feels a bit tacky. Why not replace it with a few leather sofas and a plasma tv? instead of the table and chairs. The food afterwards was inpecable and really enjoyed my game. I would recommend the course to everyone and will be re-visiting regulary as it is a challenging but enjoyable course!
July 08, 2007

Nicholas Richards
What an amazing place. So friendly and its difficult to describe how good the course is.A long drive along the private estate has a Wentworth feel and eases you into the fact that your are about to play one of the best courses in Britain ( lord knows how it is rated 79th?)On arrival you are greeted by the very friendly pro shop staff, then onto the pre-round cafe for an excellent breakfast. Then onto one of the 27 holes for your start. We started on the Shore and played the championship course. Its hard to describe the condition of the course, it's amazing. It wouldn't surprise me if we saw this place back on the Open Championship list in the near future.Well recommended.
April 22, 2007

Andy Newmarch
A good honest quality links course is Princes. There are three loops of nine but I am sure it will be the nines called Shore and Dunes that make up the best collection of 18 holes, the Himalayas holes apparently are the member’s favourites but that is maybe as the test is slightly less than the other 18 holes. I have played the course twice now and have enjoyed my golf here a great deal. The wind as at all links layouts is key – and the skill required to either hold greens downwind or sometimes just to reach them into, is pure enjoyment. Princes greens are fairly large but appear to have borrows and run-offs in just the right places (or the wrong places more like). Shore no. 6 is a beauty of a par-4, with surprisingly a tight tee shot needed with the green tucked above the level of the fairway level to the left, 4 is a great score here. Overall the Dunes is my favourite collection with the first hole, being a real test – a right to left dog-leg at around 450 yards and the 4th is another 400+ yard par 4 that needs a precise approach. As I said earlier, watch out for the wind – if coming from the North (which is not normal) the last four holes of Dunes will play directly into it – be prepared to be beaten to a pulp over this stretch. A warm welcome always at Princes – and the Kent coast must be visited to take in Royal St Georges and Royal Cinque Ports too.
April 03, 2007