Punta Blanca - Dominican Republic

Dominican Republic

• Tomás Mercedes

• Nick Price

• Not known

Fairways wind their way through native vegetation and rocky outcrops, with many of the holes skirting wetland and large sandy waste areas. Natural hazards are plentiful but playing corridors are wide enough to allow golfers of all abilities to enjoy a round here.

Three of the five par threes on the card are found on the back nine – the island green of the signature 15th is surrounded by sand – and these short holes are cleverly counter balanced by a trio of testing par fives at holes 12, 14 and 17.

Reviews for Punta Blanca

Description: The 18-hole layout at Punta Blanca is located close to a number of luxury resort properties on the east coast of the Dominican Republic and it was Nick Price’s first Caribbean golf course design, opening in 2007. Rating: 5 out of 6 Reviews: 1

I led the final stage of construction of this course during 2005-6 and managed the first year of operation. I left DR at the end of 2007 to start my own golf business and went back to the Island in May 2015. My first mandatory visit was to see my own "baby" after 7 long years and I can say it was a very nostalgic day. I was received great, treated like a king and many of my crew workers on the course were still working there and came to say Punta Blanca Golf Course - Photo by reviewerhello which was very emotional. After that I managed to play 18 holes and I can say I was as nervous as playing a scratch competition in Argentina. It is crazy, but when you love the game and you build a course, it is like your own son. I played decently without making a putt to score 75 (+3) and hitting some good shots. Many memories of my 2 years living there came across during the game and I had to hold strong not to release some tears. After that a nice lunch and back to some other courses I played. The course was in very good shape, greens rolling as true as I left them and despite wide fairways, the course still mantains that challenge to score around the greens. It will never have the marketing and nice views of Corales and Punta Espada, but this is a great course to enjoy a round of golf. Island par 3s 13th and 15th have grown mature to be the 2 best holes on the course, but par 4s 3rd and 5th are also amazing designs by Nick Price. I hope to go back some other day, but this round of golf was very special!
Punta Blanca