Review for Pyle and Kenfig

P&K was the 3rd leg of our annual tour after Pennard and Ashburnham. Generally rated by the guys as the best of the three, a view with which I would concur. Remarkably the total stableford points scored by the11 players was 323 here and 322 at both the other courses. We’d played it before in 2007 but in the rain and our impression was of a terrific back nine but average front. I would change that now and say that the front nine is good in its own right but not as good as the spectacular back. It just shows that the weather conditions can influence your opinions. It is a tough course but if you hit the ball well you can score. The greens were even quicker than Ashburnham and there were plenty of nice views of the sea. Our favourite holes were 11 through to 16 which included two awesome Par 3s and two lovely dogleg 4s through the dunes. A truly great stretch of holes similar to 10 thru 16 at Porthmadog. The clubhouse is very modest but the staff and members very friendly - a world away from the ghastly Celtic Manor (see other review below) – the post-round Steak & Ale Pie was superb. My favourite course in the area (not played Porthcawl) and I’ll be back!

Date: June 26, 2011