Review for Queenwood

Queenwood is the most beautiful and immaculately presented course that I have had the good fortune to play. Everything about it oozes class. The pristine condition reminds me of Augusta with hardly a blade of grass out of place. My caddie mentioned to me that he had previously seen one of the greenkeepers using scissors to trim the grass around the sprinkler heads!

The course itself is beautifully laid out with a good routing through the estate. The majority of holes are secluded giving you the feeling that you are the only ones on the course (possibly because we were!). Lakes come into play on a handful of holes and all are presented beautifully.

It is not designed to be the hardest golf course in the world with relatively generous landing areas and big greens. The greens are fabulous, albeit when I played in April they were not at their summer speed. Given some of the slopes these are the most challenging aspect to scoring well.

It is very hard to fault the course. The overall experience rates incredibly highly and much of that is down to the exquisite presentation of the course. The strategic challenge is arguably a bit lower than a number of other courses which stops it rising to the very top rung of my rankings. Exactly where it places really comes down to what you value most in a course.

I am wary of overemphasising the condition of a course. If you have happened to play the course at the wrong time of year or when the greens have just been sanded then you need to look through that. However if a course is permanently or predominantly in excellent or poor condition then this should effect its rating.

The bottom line is that I’m extremely thankful to have had the opportunity to play Queenwood and would jump at the chance to play there again. I’ve often heard, and used, the phrase “millionaire’s golf” to refer to having a course to yourself but Queenwood is true millionaire’s golf! If you get the chance, grab it with both hands.

Date: May 05, 2021