Played this one the following day to having played the North Course and the first impression is that the course is a little bit more challenging, specially from the tee boxes where you need to move the ball in both directions. Greens are a little bit easier than North with no grain in both directions and slopes smoother, but all the same you can face some extremely fast putts in some holes.
In this 18 holes I found some holes really spectacular and that will last longer in my memory:
- Par 4 1st is a nice opener where you can bomb it close to the green downhill.
- Tee shot on par 5 2nd demands very good direction if you wish to go for it.
- 3rd is a great par 4 where lake on the left can be a problem for longer hitters.
- 6th is a nice uphill dogleg left short par 4, second shot is one of the nice ones to hit.
- 8th is a weak hole because from the tee box it is not that clear where to aim, but the best option is short and a mid iron as second shot.
- 10th if not the one I liked most, it will be close. It plays similar to 10th at Shinnecock (yes, but with trees on both sides!) where you can bomb it down the slope and have a nice uphill wedge.
- 13th is another good short one, dirvable for everybody able to hit 260yds.
Then the stretch 14-18 gives you a very nice end of the round, with 15-16 being the best ones and most scenic in the 36 holes with some views of the Ocean.
I am 4 rounds short on the Tour and so far this is very good!
Date: May 15, 2018