Quinta do Lago (South) - Algarve - Portugal

Portugal

• John Dwyer

• William Mitchell

• Nuno Goncalves

Visit Golfbreaks.com for a golf holiday at Quinta do Lago (South)

Quinta do Lago is the dream which entrepreneur Andre Jordan realised in the early 1970s. This 2,000-acre luxury residential development was perhaps a bit ahead of its time, but now the “Manor estate by the lake” (to which Quinta do Lago roughly translates) is well and truly established.

Located fifteen minutes northwest of Faro airport, American architect William Mitchell raised the bar in terms of golf course architecture here at Quinta do Lago by importing American standard greens, tees and bunkers. The original and best course is now called the South and it opened for play in 1974.

The Quinta do Lago South course is certainly the most famous in the area and it has played host to the Portuguese Open on no fewer than seven occasions with Mark McNulty and Colin Montgomerie being former title holders. Given its championship pedigree, this is also a course which will be enjoyed by the average handicap golfer. The fairways are relatively generous and the predominantly sandy but undulating ground flatters medium hitters.

With umbrella pine-lined fairways, bold bunkering and a splash of water features, the South course at Quinta do Lago is certainly an eye-catching layout and one which will appeal to discerning golfers.

Reviews for Quinta do Lago (South)

Description: American architect William Mitchell raised the bar in terms of golf course architecture here at Quinta do Lago by importing American standard greens, tees and bunkers. Rating: 7.5 out of 10 Reviews: 34
Andy
Always has been and always will be one of the special Algarve courses and is a must for any itinerary. From the opening inviting tee shot you are well aware that you are playing in a great place. There are many stand-out holes and the first for me is the par-4 3rd; 390 metres with the fairway moving slightly to the right but with the camber of land moving left, then an approach over water – quality. The 5th is a strong par-5, a couple of twists in the fairway before reaching an elevated green tucked around to the left with two fantastic bunkers protecting. The 8th is very good; 385 metres, dog-legging right but it is so easy to go left and end up playing from the tree roots that separate this hole with the 2nd. The end of the front nine has the hole that in my mind should be the 18th as the green is much nearer to the clubhouse terrace than the current final hole. Reflecting on the front nine brings a smile to my face; twists and turns and some serious change in elevation on many holes, reminiscent of what we all see every April at Augusta National. The back nine is not too shabby either; opening with the 410 metre 10th hole, which is most golfers choice of toughest par-4 on the course. The par-3 11th at around 190 metres will test most but plays a little shorter with more huge changes in height; this hole must drop 40 metres before climbing back up to the green – just get to the green and look back to the tee and you will see what I mean. The 14th tee is a great spot; one of the highest points on the course and the 383 metre SI-2 hole all in front of you – this is a very pretty part of the course, especially at the approach to the green; glance right and you see the lake that becomes the focal point for the very next hole. The 15th is the pick of the short holes; 200 metres over water with hardly any ground between the water and the green – one of the very hardest par-3’s around – that is now five times I have not made a par on the hole! Very happy to keep trying though. As mentioned earlier the 18th hole in my opinion would be better off as the 9th – I have no idea if there are any plans to swap the nines but I would like to kick-off the debate – The 18th is a very tough par-4 at 413 metres but is without a doubt the flattest hole on the course which is just a bit out of character. In direct comparison with the other two courses at the resort, the South remains my own No. 1 and that is after the major renovations on the North – Laranjal whilst very technical and on the whole very good just does not have the warmth of the beautiful South. The current rankings of #4 in the Algarve, #10 in country and #88 in Continental Europe are about right, with a little scope to improve I think.
March 18, 2015

Brian Ward
Although Quinta do Lago South may well be regarded as one of the grand old ladies on the Algarve golfing scene the course still comfortably holds its own with the big budget modern designs in the area. There appears to be huge investment going into the complex at present with the redevelopment of the North course and the building of an impressive new fitting centre/academy, all following the construction of the Laranjal course 5 years ago. Seven years after my first visit I returned to find the course in great nick, the greens being the best we putted on during the week. There is no shortage of character and the generous width of most fairways means that the South is a good driving course. The layout is enjoyable for players of all standards but you will need Quinta do Lago (South) Golf Course - Photo by revieweraccuracy and finesse to score well here as most greens are well protected, some being quite tricky to hit due to their elevated position. Both nines have memorable holes and you certainly won’t find anything that could be described as weak. As for my personal favourites, the 1st is a cracker to get you on your way. An inviting downhill tee shot attractively lined by stands of pine trees that will block your approach if you go too far right. The 3rd needs a solid iron shot to avoid the pond which sits below the front left half of the green. The 5th is a pretty par5 where trees and well placed bunkers will cause problems for many around the green and the 7th is a good looking downhill par3. The front nine finishes with a couple of solid doglegs, one right, one left and both to elevated greens. The 10th provides a stiff test to begin the back nine. At 450 yards from the white tees and with a small valley to clear, you will need two good shots to reach the plateau green in two. Both short holes are very good on the back, the 11th being a pretty downhiller and 15 could possibly be one of the most photographed holes on the Algarve. At around 200 yards and over a lake you will need a smooth swing if you are to get your par here. Of the other holes I would pick the 420 yard 14th which delivers another enticing downhill tee shot but remember to club up on your second shot as there are bunkers and a pond waiting to catch anything short and the 16th, a pretty par4 which doglegs to a slightly sunken green with a glorious lakeside backdrop. My only slight criticism would be of the 18th, certainly not a bad hole but the green setting is rather bland and lacking that bit of drama we all prefer at the finish. I certainly look forward to playing the South again. Brian W
May 09, 2014

shaun donnelly
Played QDLS recently as they lay on a courtesy bus from Vilamoura,our small group enjoyed this layout and condition but after spending 20 minutes on a slow practice putting green we were met with slick surfaces that resulted in a few putts being degreened.Apart from the 15th which is their signature hole the other par 3s are underwhelming,beware of an unfair 12th par 5 fairway that all rolls to the divot city.16th green has a fine view of the lagoon as well as the spectacular houses on the course.Bottom line is we will be back!
March 30, 2014

Pat McEvoy
The whole experience at Quinta do Lago takes excellence and redefines it. I had played the North course a few days prior to this and thought that it was the last word in fine golf. I was wrong. I encountered a fabulous experience from start to finish. At 94 Euro for the round (including buggy) I was expecting excellence and I was not disappointed. Unlike reviewers previous, we were made aware of the two tee starts - 10th for visitors, 1st for members, when in the pro shop. We started circa 8:30am from the 10th. The starter was very engaging and warming and gave us some hints and tips about the pin placements on the day. Every fairway was absolutely trimmed to perfection. The grass in the rough was lush - so very difficult to get out of, as I found to my cost for the first few holes! Exactly as punitive as it ought it be. The greens didn't disappoint either - Sprinklers in operation that were turned off when you were upon approach. If anything, the greens were a little slow, compared to the ice rink North I had played a few days earlier, but they weren't so slow as to cause significant impact to my round! By the time we reached the 1st again, most morning member 4 balls had played already. We waited for just 15 minutes - Enough time for us to restock our water supply from the clubhouse. Upon finishing the round, we had food and drinks at the clubhouse were the service level continued to inspire. It isn't a cheap experience - and as someone with a modest income I wouldn't be quick to throw 94 Euro at a round of golf, but it was money well spent. I still refer to my couple of rounds in Quinta Do Lago as my favourite rounds of golf. Thoroughly recommended.
September 24, 2013

James
I played this brute of a championship course twice last week. It is the hardest course we played from the back tees. We enjoyed the well constructed and attractive holes winding over undulating ground through mature and plentiful umbrella pine trees. The par threes are all very enjoyable, the par fours are very testing and the par fives regal. There is plenty of variety and there are quite a few memorable holes that will get your pulse racing The fifteenth might even make your best par three of all time shortlist? It is a proper test of golf and one I highly recommend you visit. The back nine is particularly good. JCB Lay
November 12, 2012

Adam Preedy
Having played the south course in march and really enjoyed it, I decided to come and play with my father early one morning. We teed off at 7.15am so we would not be held up after previous slow rounds elsewhere. Loved the front nine with some lovely holes though we encountered the same issue as the reviewer below, arriving at the 10th tee with 4 fourballs waiting. At no stage in either the booking process or when we arrived was this mentioned. Having played the front 9 in 1h30 we were loathe to spend 3 hours on the back nine behind the members' competition. Our allotted tee off time for the back 9 was some 45 minutes away so we decided to cut and run and try for a refund. I went to the pro shop and again had a similar and unhelpful experience from the surly and not customer friendly staff there as the reviewer below One actually questioning what time we had teed off when he started us and I showed him the receipt for the balls and glove I had bought from him 90 minutes earlier. Eventually we secured a refund from the obviously reluctant supervisor who kept insisting that despite the refund I was plain wrong. This seemed odd given he had handed over the cash and conceded the point and was adamant that a round around there should be 4h 40 mins, whether as a single, two or four. I would not return to Quinta do lago until they change such a plainly ridiculous policy which must generate several complaints. As a minimum they should tell you as you book and when you arrive that this policy operates and you can make your mind up from there. Summary would be, great golf course though shame about the staff and poor service and a simply non-sensical starting policy. Great golf course
June 15, 2011

Carlos
June 15, 2011
We have property at Vale Do Lobo and hence reduced greenfee rates. Despite being lovely courses (and great twilight deals) I hardly play there for the above mentioned reasons. Bad service. Go to Quinta / Vilamoura or Monte Rei where you at least will receive friendly welcome.
Graham
A good course, but service levels not great and the quality of the greens and fairways was a real let-down which really detracted from what was otherwise a really nice course. The greens were unbelievably slow. Also a buggy was not included in the green fee which was disappointing as a buggy is essential in the summer months. We also played the Oceanico Old Course and Monte Rei, both of which were in far superior condition and better value for money.
August 14, 2010

Joey Chase
I played this course today and thouroughly enjoyed the first nine. The greens and fairways were in great shape. When I made the turn I found 6 GROUPS! on the tenth tee. The starter told me they had start times for both nines and suggested I skip ahead to the twelfth hole and come back to play 10 and 11. When I went back to the pro shop they told me I would not be refunded and suggested I wait for the groups to start in front of me! I truly enjoyed the bit of the course I played, but I'll never return if they cannot change such a ridiculous policy.
June 06, 2010

James
A superb, and tough, track winding its way through the umbrella pines. The course was presented in fantastic condition with true and slick greens which were practically blemish-free. Some of the holes are wonderfully isolated (I'm thinking of the par five 5th in particular) and you'd think you were the only players on the course. Like a lot of courses, it's one you might enjoy more on the second go given some of the lines that you need to take off some of the tees in order to properly position your second shot. The par four 8th in particular springs to mind as a whole which on first glance you might think is a bit unfair given the camber of the fairway and the share dog-leg right. The front nine par threes are a little underwhelming, but they are more than compensated for by the "short" holes on the back side. Much has been said about the 15th, and it is all true. Superb hole which on the day we visited played as a full rescue or 3 wood from 230 yards or so. Take a moment to look at the turtles next to the bridge (if you can keep away from the mozzies, that is!). Also, play it off the tips if you can. It's attritional, but I think you'll appreciate the ebb and flow of the course that much more. Highly recommended.
April 29, 2010

John Moriarty
Played QDL South a couple of weeks back on a golf trip. Best course we played by miles. Streets ahead of Victoria/Faldo and O'Connor from a layout perspective and miles ahead in the condition of greens and tees. Will definitely be back to play again
April 25, 2010