Review for Real Sotogrande

This was my first time back to Sotogrande since the 2001 European Tour School. From what I remember it was a fine course with fast undulating greens…..and that it was freezing! The view from the clubhouse down the first fairway whets the appetite with its open fairway this hole is a nice introduction to the course. I believe the strength in Sotogrande comes from hole 2 through to hole 7 especially holes 3,5 and 7. Real Sotogrande Golf Course - Photo by reviewer The third is a great short par 4 doglegging from right to left to an elevated green which slopes from left to right. Hole 5 starts with a semi blind tee shot which leaves the player a short to mid iron to an angled green. I really like the way this green sits and club selection is vital for successful outcome. In my opinion hole 7 is the best on Sotogrande. If you manage to get your tee shot in play from the elevated tee you are left with a perilous approach to a long thin green which is flanked by water on the right and bunkers on the left! Hole 11 (Pictured) is cracking short par four to a raised green which is a recurring theme throughout Sotogrande. The course then disappoints a little for the next three holes giving more of a Floridian feel to the holes. Holes 15 - 18 are decent enough but do not quite reach the heights of the front 9. All in all I thoroughly enjoyed my re visit to Sotogrande and with its variety of holes and generous fairways golfers of all levels will enjoy their game here.

Date: March 20, 2019