Review for The Renaissance Club

The facilities at Renaissance are second to none, the clubhouse and practice facilities are absolutely first class and when I went along it was a quiet day so I enjoyed it all to myself.

I had a caddie on my visit, I think this is required for all visitors. He definitely made the round more of occasion and filled the walks between shots with some great stories.

The course was in great condition, ahead of the Scottish Open coming. There were a few real stand out holes, Tom Doak and his team seemed to have managed to create a modern links but hang on to many of the Lothian course features, for example the wall that runs through the course, the rubble of which was found in the gorse. I wouldn't class the course as a true links but it takes full advantage of pot hole bunkers and is creative with undulations. The greens are large and offer multiple challenges with varied pins. They also offer up a mixed scorecard, depending on wind direction which I think is a great thing, to be used at more courses, front tees into the wind, and back tees down wind. The course is surrounded by the more traditional courses around the town of Gullane and I would certainly play these first.

Date: July 24, 2020