Review for The Renaissance Club

It was hard not to come away from my morning at the Renaissance Club feeling anything but a little disappointed. I had read many of Doak's comments on the course design, enjoyed the photos and watching videos of the club. The problem was it was just not as much fun as it should have been. There were just one set of tees in play the day I was there and anyone who thinks a 516 yard par 4 uphill into the wind is anything but punishment is playing off a lower handicap than I! While the land was beautiful and much of the work done on the course was technically great and interesting it just felt like this course had been built with one thing in mind only - to build a course for a big tour event. Anyone expecting a modern interpretation of a Scottish Links should think again - the course is very hilly in parts and does not have many of the characteristics you would expect on this coastline. I am glad I have played it once but frankly if you offered me a round there again or at Gullane, North Berwick, Archerfied or Muirfield the Renaissance would definitely be at the bottom of my list.

Date: November 17, 2008