Review for Rimba Irian

I played here while on a trekking holiday to Lorentz National Park, a vacation I’ll never forget. The setting is completely jaw dropping where snow capped mountains tower above the wet and sticky tropical jungle. It’s not for the feint hearted and a local guide is essential.

The location of the course is completely bizarre where a mining village has been created with all the amenities you’d expect but completely encircled by rainforest. It’s extraordinary.

The clubhouse is majestic and the restaurant surprisingly good. The golf course is like no other I’ve ever played anywhere in the world. It has been carved through the tropical hardwoods and each hole plays in its own jungle amphitheatre. The sounds of the wildlife as you play is off-putting and you’re never quite sure what you’ll encounter next. You don’t go hunting for balls here nor do you wander off piste so to speak.

Take a cart as you’ll get drenched walking through the jungle trails. It rained in short bursts on two occasions during the round. I enjoyed the experience but I wasn’t paying as much attention to the golf as I normally do. This was a walking holiday and I didn’t get on with the rental clubs. This isn’t a golfing destination but if you find yourself somewhere nearby then I recommend making the effort to play here. There’s nothing not to like. Even the condition was surprisingly good. Just remember to bring your golf game to avoid being an embarrassing jungle hack.

Date: December 03, 2018