Review for Royal Aberdeen (Balgownie)

Balgownie is sublime.

The front nine stands side by side with...hmm....the front nine at Portstewart and probably the back nine in Tralee and all of Portmarnock Old....as some of the finest stretch of links roller coaster fun to be had (or at the very least experienced by me).

They say that the back nine is somewhat a let down by comparison, it is indeed different, however, no less demanding as it is played into the prevailing Southerly wind. Surely, they are two different nines, however the somewhat flatter topographical nature of the closing half in no way deters from the thrill or enjoyment.

Special mention must go out to Cameron Black my caddie for the day and his able deputy Sarah (who assisted my sancho panzo (AT) for the day. Their quick thinking enabled us to leapfrog another group of visitors to find the course completely empty in front of us.......

We all know that often childlike freedom that emanates from occasions where you are alone on the links where a delightful rhythm .......of shot to shot....assessment and reaction takes place. The only complaint is that the experience was over too soon :)

Royal Aberdeen is a phenomenal golf course where David the pro was the consumate host and tour guide. You must visit the jewel that is the Balgownie.

Date: June 02, 2019

Read all reviews about Royal Aberdeen (Balgownie)