Review for Royal Ashdown Forest (Old)

Played the Old Course for the first time on 1st July on what turned out to be one of the hottest days on record, so perhaps our group of 12 felt a bit jaded by the end of their 'experience' here! Personally, I loved the layout of the course and enjoyed the challenge presented. It is a different test to my home club, but while the SSS is only 1 shot more, I found it a much tougher test from the tee. After a gentle start, things toughen up from around the 7th onwards. Accuracy is required, especially off the tee as the heather, found not too far from most fairways, often makes recovery extremely difficult. I loved many of the holes, the par 5 5th offers the chance of a birdie, but trouble awaits just short of the green, the 6th a tricky short par 3 demands total accuracy off the tee, the long par 3 11th played from an elevated tee some 249 yards out is spectacular, the par 3 14th another excellent test from the tee and the shortish par 4 15th were all among my favourites. The greens, while true, were a little slow. They were not bad by any means, but as a group we felt they should have been a little better/quicker at this time of year. I wonder if the green keeper had not cut them quite as short due to the high temps during the week. Also, some in our group felt 'cheated' as their long straight drives were occasionally punished, especially on the 17th. Should you have to lay up on a 472 yard par 4 played blind over a fairway marker? We paid £58 for our golf and a top notch English breakfast. This was good value for the quality of the course and the service we received from all the staff at the club. I would visit again and recommend to others, but buy a course planner if it's your first visit! The course is quite tough and demands accurate striking, so if you are a mid to high handicapper this may not be the place for you.

Date: July 05, 2015

Read all reviews about Royal Ashdown Forest (Old)