Review for Royal Ashdown Forest (Old)

I must say that I was very intrigued to play this course after hearing that there were 0 bunkers across the entire 18 holes. However with the thick rough and heather that you can find around the greens and either side of the fairway, you don’t have any sighs of relief with no bunkers in your way!

This is a unique golf course which no other golf course is like, and that is one of the reasons why I enjoyed my round here. Although there are no bunkers you do not even realise this and the course still plays pretty tough as you must plot your way round to shoot well. The greens were fantastic although they were very undulated. I found them tough to get the right pace but thats not a huge surprise considering its hard to find a flat putt on most of the greens.

Now to the course itself. The front 9 plays much shorter than the back 9 and although the start is short, that does not mean its easy as accuracy is very much required. Some of my favourites would have to be the par 4 2nd, which has a beautiful approach shot towards the green with a ditch that you must hit over. The par 3 6th is also a lovely short hole with a very narrow green to hit towards. The par 5 8th is a beautiful par 5 with plenty of heather and thick rough on the right hand side, ready to eat up any wayward approach shot. The par 3 11th is brutally long, but has a stunning backdrop, making the tee shot a lot more appealing. My favourite hole would have to be the par 4 17th, a 486 yard par 4 which was straight into the wind for us, the approach shot is awesome and very beautiful with the trees around the green making it a very picturesque hole.

Although it was a good day, I don’t feel that I cab give it 5 balls as in my opinion it isn’t quite as good as many other courses that I have played and a few holes felt a bit bland and unenjoyable. However, overall I enjoyed my round at Royal Ashdown Forest and would be keen to return there again soon as it is definitely one of the best golf courses in the area!

Date: June 27, 2019

Read all reviews about Royal Ashdown Forest (Old)