Review for Royal Birkdale

Quite simply a spectacular golf course and it is easy to see why the pro’s love playing here. Made the trip to Southport on a rare sunny day and couldn’t resist paying the sizeable green fee to enjoy playing ‘the best golf course in England’. I watched the open here twice as a young lad and the holes came back to me as I played every magnificent one of them. The course is extremely challenging but rewards good shots and punishes bad ones. This was summed up by the fact I had 3 birdies but lost 5 golf balls!?! Bit nervous playing 17 and 18 with my last cherry! There really isn’t a ‘weak’ hole on the course and as many have said already, the par 3 collection is sublime (12 my personal favorite for both layout and aesthetics). Not normally a fan of blind tee-shots but the 9th won me over as well - a par 4 leading to the welcoming halfway house. People very friendly, clubhouse wonderful, balls provided before playing to warm-up. Can’t wait to return to the area to play Hillside and the other smaller brothers of this this great links.

Date: June 15, 2013