Review for Royal Birkdale

I think I said in a previous review that links courses were not my favourite but I don’t know what I was thinking when I wrote that as this has got to be one of my favourite courses i’ve ever played alongside Portrush and RCD. Immaculate. Pure. Perfect. It truly was a treat to play such a prestigious course and I will savour the experience for a very long time. From hole 1 the course was fantastic and it just kept getting better, after the round we were trying to think of our favourite hole but it was so hard because not one of them was a weak hole, making the selection of our favourite a lot harder! The greens were rolling so well an were very speedy, the rough was awfully thick which is how it should be for a links course and the bunkers were fantastic but incredibly tough!

The first hole is a long par 4 measuring about 420 yards and a brutal opening hole with a very narrow fairway to hit and out of bounds down the right hand side. The 4th hole is a great par 3 playing about 190 yards with many tough bunkers surrounding the green. The 7th hole was a fantastic par 3 with their famous donut bunker at the front of the green. The back nine played much easier than front nine with 3 par 5s in the last 4 holes, however the par 5s still played extremely tough. I will go for any par 5 in 2 if I can however you have to be a mad man to attempt to hit the greens in 2 on the 15th and 17th. They are so narrow and well protected by deep bunkers that you will come away with a better score if you take your medicine and lay up, which makes playing par 5s a lot more interesting and fun. The 18th is probably my favourite hole on the course as you hit into the green in front of the famous clubhouse making it a beautiful approach shot and a lovely end to the round.

All in all, the experience was fantastic and I absolutely adored my time at Birkdale, would absolutely go back to play there again if I ever get the chance!

Date: August 02, 2019