Review for Royal Canberra (Westbourne)

I was exceptionally lucky to be invited to play Royal Canberra GC, I have played there before 4 times, but had never played holes 1 - 9 as the renovations were still taking place. So how good is the newly redeveloped front nine, very good in my opinion. Fairways have been widened, bunkers filled with what I can call fluffy white Augusta National like sand. Good use of variation in depth of bunkers, and from a strategic point of view they've been placed with an emphasis on the player hitting their tee shot to the correct side of the fairway for best entry to the green. Undulating greens that are not quite Melbourne sandbelt quick, but not far behind on the stimp metre. Short shots around the green use to be played out of long grass, but the short grass that's now around the greens makes life a lot easier, appears like Augusta National in this regard. tee boxes are superb. Additions like - concrete paths, new bins and sand bucket boxes all make for a better experience. Tree removal is typical of Michael Clayton, but it enhances the aesthetics of the course. If Royal Canberra isn't ranked in the top 20 for the 2018 rankings list then I'd be very surprised. Because once is never enough, I've been lucky enough to be invited back for second look! Tyson.

Date: April 30, 2019

Read all reviews about Royal Canberra (Westbourne)