Review for Royal Cinque Ports

I am over in the UK on business. Since this was my first time here I was going to go play St Andrews or Kingsbarns but my schedule did not allow it. I was then going to play Royal Lytham St Annes or Royal St George's but could not get on either. I then saw and read about Royal Cinque Ports. The staff were very friendly and I ended up having a nice discussion with the assistant professional. The first few holes were rough and I didn't think much of the holes but something happened around about the 4th hole and all of the sudden I got it. I thouroughly enjoyed the rest of the round after I stopped trying to play American target golf and let the course dictate what shots I could play. The wind was blowing at about 40MPH and the back nine was brutal. My best hole was the par 3 14th playing 222 into the wind. I played the shot about 30 yards right of the green at the set of bunkers and let the wind bring it back with a hybrid. The ball hit the stick and I had a 20 foot putt for birdie. The greens looked furry but putted fast and true. The course was in great shape and was fast even though there had been rain lately. The clubhouse is nothing to write home about but your not playing this type of a course for its new bathrooms. Make the drive and go play Royal Cinque Ports. There is talk of the course getting The Open and I hope it does. There is plenty of room and if they need to they can add length through new tees.

Date: May 19, 2007