Review for Royal Dornoch (Championship)

That I found Royal Dornoch to be a fantastic course will not be a surprise to anyone. The quaint town that you drive through to get there only builds the anticipation that you are heading for a superb golfing experience. The course is effortlessly stunning and you can imagine that this course has looked more or less as it does now for the previous 100 years or so. The ghosts of legends seem to accompany you down each majestic and serene fairway (I should point out here that I played it on a calm day!!). The front 9 is superb, with each hole a very good test of links golf. The par 3 6th is so stunning it is only rivalled by the 11th on the Old Course at St Andrews. The second 9 is not as good for me as the 1st nine, although it does finish well with demanding, if untraditional, hilly holes 16 and 17. The 18th is a great finishing hole in the mould of the 18th at Royal Aberdeen, although not quite as good. The much talked about signature hole ‘Foxy’ was a disappointing hole for us, - it was difficult to really make out what was going on. Maybe playing it for the 1st time didn’t help and future attempts to play this hole (and there will be future attempts) may be slightly more enjoyable. Although I had a great day there is one serious black mark – having travelled over 200 miles and paid £75, we were not allowed to play from the whites as not all of our group were 5 handicap or below. Next time we go I think the starter might find that our handicaps are all less than 5!!!!

Date: May 12, 2010

Read all reviews about Royal Dornoch (Championship)