Review for Royal Liverpool

It was my second visit to Hoylake and in a very special day: Roberto de Vicenzo (Winner of the 1967 Open Championship here) had died the day before and 12 golfers from Golf Club Argentino (where he was the Club pro until 1949) arrived and since the first moment we were treated in a very special way. At the Club House Lobby there were some things remembering Roberto’s win and everybody at the Club was really sad, he Royal Liverpool Golf Course - Photo by reviewer was loved here. And I had the chance to take testimony of the Head Pro and the Club Historian for Golf Channel and they both said very special words about Roberto and remembered a lot of details from his win. But they also mentioned the 1956 Open where Roberto was third and the story is a late night before the third round was the cause of that 79.

My first visit was also special as I played it with the tribunes and all the Open display as it was 10 days after Rory’s win, but this one with 12 friends and honoring Roberto I would say it was more special. And this Royal Liverpool Golf Course - Photo by reviewer time we played the original layout where 1st hole is number 3 at The Open, that time I played the “Open Layout” and it is said there are considerations to make it the official one as the last 2 holes are a sort of weak finale for such a great course. As in 2014 some rain showed but it was for a couple of holes, not for almost all the round as that time.

Is the course worth the visit? Yes, not only as an Open Venue with the charm and challenge that has, but also a very good course with some great holes (3-5-8-9-14-15), greens rolling true and fast and one of the best club houses I have visited. And if you are by the area you can add Birkdale, Formby, Hillside, Lytham and Wallasey to make it a great golf tour.

Date: June 28, 2017