Review for Royal Liverpool

Third visit to Hoylake, second in the last 5 weeks and in all 3 water has been the main character of the day. It seems like I will not be able to avoid it in any of my visits here! My first one was back in 2014 and we played 16 holes under water with all The Open stands still there. Early june some rain again, but just for a few holes. And now light dizzle for the front 9 but from 9 to 14 it was dense and uncomfortable rain. But it is summer in the UK, Royal Liverpool Golf Course - Photo by reviewer that will happen and you have to face it. My score was not even bad during the water, just got punched to KO by the course in the final 4 holes. Disappointing score,but never to complain when you visit a Major Venue. Just accept what you get and just learn for the next time.

Nothing to complain about the course, as good in shape as usual, greens rolling perfect, firm and fast fairways but every mistake will be penalized and this time it looks like I selected the wrong club off the time quite a few times and always ended on deep rough or by the tall wall of a cross bunker. With that there is little you can do, but just remember to be wiser with club selection next time.

Royal Liverpool Golf Course - Photo by reviewer

In 2014 I played it with The Open layout (17-18 being 1-2) but in June and now as the Members play it. I like it more like The Open plays but Members have no intention of turning that into permanent, don't know why but I would consider it as the final 2 holes have really nothing too special and I would say are the 2 weakest holes on the course.

As in my previous 2 visits I enjoyed a long time at the Club House and it is one of the highlights of the day, hospitality from the staff is as good as you can expect and you feel like at your home course.

Now that I hve completed all current Royals of the Open Rota it is time to evaluate them and for sure the best Club House will be Hoylake for me. And as an Argentine, visiting where De Vicenzo won in 1967 will be always special. Comparing golf courses, design, strategy and challenge it hurts but Birkdale and St George's are above RLGC, finding it tougher and better than Lytham. But please don't get me wrong, it is just comparing 4 great golf courses, all of them worth the place they have in the World Top 100.

Date: August 03, 2017