Review for Royal Marrakech (Vert & Rouge)

Royal Marrakesh actually comprises three 9 hole loops and the different combinations are each named. I played the Menara after I was able to persuade my wife that she should spend a morning by the pool! The facilities are all a little run down and everything seems a little dejected; there is no real atmosphere at the club. Costs started to mount somewhat as I had to hire clubs, shoes and buy balls, tees and a glove (which was second hand and in pretty poor shape!). I was also required to take a caddy, even though I was happy to carry my own sticks. Not all that unusual in this part of the world. Unfortunately my caddy was dour and disinterested and tried to convince me that for every birdie I should buy him a bottle of champagne…funny for the first two birdies – not so much after three and two eagles! Unfortunately his persistence paid off and I ended up tipping him far more than he was worth.The course itself was pretty simple with wide fairways, gentle bunkering and big greens but there were a few holes of note. The first couple of holes are pretty boring but the course gets going at the par 5 4th: a slow dogleg left which requires a good drive and an accurate second. The drivable par 4 9th is just too tempting not to take on (I got an eagle after sinking a 9ft putt!) and the last four holes off a good(ish) finish. Would I go back? Probably not. The Amelkis course, which is just next door to Royal Marrakesh, is apparently a better test and the course is in better shape.

Date: November 10, 2009

Read all reviews about Royal Marrakech (Vert & Rouge)