Review for Royal North Devon

I was told that this is a 'marmite' course. It's one you either love or hate. I fall into the latter category. Played there on a beautiful day with a decent breeze up. I was really looking forward to it and soaking up the history attached to the club.

Lets start with the positives and there are a couple, The greens are fantastic. True with some devilish breaks about. They are a pleasure to putt on. The par 3's are lovely and all 4 are a treat to play. I loved the 5th. Thought it was the best hole on the course. The members and staff were very welcoming and made us feel at home. The little museum is a nice touch and connects you with the history of England oldest links.

Now for the negatives. The course is mostly uninspiring and lacks definition. I got the feeling that we were playing through a flat farmers field and he just decided to up his income by throwing in a golf course. I didn't enjoy the course at all. Unfortunately the fairways and tee boxes were in appalling condition. The road running through the course is a menace and those using it pay no heed to the game going on around them. I know they have right of way but stopping just in front of the 3rd tee box to check you have you wetsuit is a bit much. In high summer when the beaches are packed I can see golfers waiting for a long time before they can play across it. The ramblers are able to roam wild with their dogs and they exercise the right to the best of their ability. We were made to wait on a few occasions while they strolled through the course without a care in the world. There are also lots of sheep and horses about. The horses run about and their hoof prints are everywhere with the exception of the greens.

So overall it is fair to say that I was extremely disappointed and underwhelmed with Westward Ho!

Date: April 18, 2017