Royal Park I Roveri (Trent Jones Sr.) - Northern Italy - Italy

Italy

• Angelo Siniscalco

• Robert Trent Jones

• Not known

Royal Park I Roveri Golf Club is set within the Parco Regionale della Mandria, which was once a hunting estate in the 16th century. Now it’s one of Turin’s most important conservation areas.

Robert Trent Jones designed I Roveri and it’s his first Italian architectural ensemble, which opened its doors for play in 1971. As with most RTJ courses, I Roveri is strategically bunkered and well watered with large undulating greens. Stunning views of the Alps are also on offer from several holes.

Their nine-hole par three course was great fun and an ideal way to warm-up ahead of the main I Roveri layout, but that has made way for a new course designed by Michael Hurdzan and Dana Fry in 2006 and the signature hole on the newer Pramerica layout is reckoned to be the 18th.

The Italian Open dates back to 1925 and RTJ’s course at Royal Park I Roveri co-hosted the event with Circolo Golf Torino in 2009, which Daniel Vancsik won. I Roveri hosted the Italian Open solely in 2010 (won by Fredrik Andersson Hed). Robert Rock claimed the 2011 Italian Open title here at I Roveri, ending his nine-year wait for a first European Tour win, then Gonzalo Fernández-Castaño claimed the title the following year.

Reviews for Royal Park I Roveri (Trent Jones Sr.)

Description: Robert Trent Jones designed Royal Park I Roveri and it’s his first Italian architectural ensemble, which opened its doors for play in 1971. Rating: 6 out of 6 Reviews: 1

I’ve played on this course for the BMW Italian Amateur final and I must say that has been a wonderful experience. The course is very beautiful, long and not easy. For sure one of the best Italian courses and all 27 holes are nice to play.
Royal Park I Roveri (Trent Jones Sr.)
August 27, 2012