Royal Porthcawl - South Wales - Wales

Wales

• M4 J37, 3 miles to Porthcawl

• Contact in advance – weekdays only

Visit Golfbreaks.com for a golf holiday at Royal Porthcawl

The club was founded in 1891 and Charles Gibson, Royal North Devon’s professional, laid out a 9-hole course on Lock’s Common. In 1895, an adjacent piece of land became available and Ramsey Hunter created an 18-hole layout. Porthcawl was granted its royal title in 1909 by King Edward VII. Over the years, the layout has been extensively modified, primarily in 1913 by Harry Colt, F.G Hawtree and J.H. Taylor in 1925 (when the duo added for new holes) and by Tom Simpson in 1933.

The first four holes and the last six holes represent classic links golf, but the holes in the middle rise up onto higher ground, offering fantastic views across the Bristol Channel. This middle section of the course, with plenty of gorse, has distinct heathland characteristics. Darwin completely disagrees with our sentiments. He wrote about “the very excellent links of Porthcawl. Links they may worthily be called, for the golf at Porthcawl is the genuine thing – the sea in sight all the time, and the most noble bunkers.”

Royal Porthcawl measures 7,065 yards from the back markers, but position from the tee is just as important as distance. Gary Wolstenholme will vouch for this. Wolstenholme played Tiger Woods in the 1995 Walker Cup here at Porthcawl and despite being constantly out-driven by Woods, Wolstenholme controlled and positioned the ball better and secured a famous victory at the last hole.

The Bristol Channel acts as a funnel for Atlantic gales and the course is fully exposed to the wind. It’s not a traditional out and back layout – the holes loop back on one another, playing in various directions. With an absence of trees and dunes, the wind plays a powerful role.

In 2014, the Senior Open Championship was hosted at Royal Porthcawl. This was the first time a Major Championship had been staged in Wales. The event turned out to be a one man show when Bernhard Langer cruised to a 13-stroke victory over nearest rival Colin Montgomerie and, in doing so, the German broke the tour record for the largest winning margin in a 72-hole event.

Three years later, the event returned to Royal Porthcawl and once again the evergreen Bernhard Langer emerged victorious, claiming his third Senior Open title with a four under par aggregate score of 280, three strokes better than that of runner-up Cory Pavin from the United States of America.

Reviews for Royal Porthcawl

Description: Royal Porthcawl Golf Club is located off the beaten track, east of Swansea and west of Cardiff. Despite being the highest ranked course in Wales, it remains relatively unknown. Rating: 9.1 out of 10 Reviews: 56
Craig Tucker

I played this yesterday 29th of October 2019 with my brother.

From the moment you drive in it oozes class, history and mystique. From the first tee you know you’re on a special course ‘a stones throw’ from the sea.

The greens were subtle and perfectly true, the fairways were consistent and a pleasure to play off and the lay out was what ‘blew my hair back!’ , with it’s intimidating tee shots, sneaky run off areas and cavernous bunkers. I can’t recommend this course and the friendly staff highly enough. I’m astounded that Wales hasn’t held a British open yet but this would be the place, without any doubt.

All true links courses rely on the wind for its teeth and this course is no different. The day I played it was a cold day with winds starting at 20-25 mph and increased through my round to 30mph. I loved every minute of this course. It’ll live long in my memory and someday I’ll fly over from Jersey for another fairytale of a round.

Ps the classic historical clubhouse was a real treat.

October 30, 2019

Phil Ree

At Porthcawl’s two Senior Opens a combined seven players finished under par. It doesn’t look too scary but you need your A-game or it will be a long day. There are a multitude of cross bunkers, the wind is often gusting and even during heavy rain the greens were fairly fast.

So my main take-away from Porthcawl was that I got beaten up more than at other ‘championship’ links I’ve played. Conditions were far worse though, my fault for visiting in late October. There is not a weak or inferior hole among the eighteen, and I’m sure if there was more space then Porthcawl would be Open worthy. They said that about Portrush as well for a long time, though.

The first three holes along the beach are stunning, with the wind likely showing off some large waves close by. The turn inland is almost as dramatic, the par 5 5th going up a big hill alongside an old stone wall. I won’t bore you with a hole-by-hole but the short 7th stood out, as a par 3 its green must be about seven yards wide, there are five pot bunkers and you’ll probably have a cross-wind. That’s the ‘easiest’ hole on the course.

All the bunkers are nasty. Porthcawl’s sand is hard and compact, to be honest I had trouble raking the many I visited. It wasn’t the rain either, as the local courses I visited had softer, more forgiving sand even when sodden. The turf isn’t quite as sandy and bouncy as other links I’ve played either, but it’s still nice and firm and drains well. Some areas look semi-heathland, not that that’s a negative.

The course’s finale is suitably grand and testing. The 13th is a blind, downhill dogleg, make sure you play to the correct flag! I blame the rain on my glasses. The remaining holes are long, have even more cross bunkers, then you double back to the sea for an appropriately scenic finish into the prevailing wind.

Once done the clubhouse is friendly, historic and has wonderful views. The overall experience at Porthcawl is great, although I expected a tad more given its lofty world ranking. I wouldn’t quite put it on the same level as the other world top 100 courses I’ve played, but I wouldn’t put it far outside.

October 29, 2019

Michael Frankel

Underrated. I've been to Porthcawl before, but the work theyve done to improve the course and conditioning is exceptional.A real links ON the sea, views from every hole. A very dry summer, do conditions not optimal, but quite good in the circumstances. My home club also hosted the Walker Cup, so we got a warm welcome. Fair but very demanding. Great weather 2 days running! We stayed in the dormy one night and it was fine. Very good caddies! If you love Links Goldman It's a must!

October 20, 2019

richard

Recently completed a two week visit to Wales, playing 10 rounds, the last at Royal Porthcawl. A few quick words about golfing in Wales before commenting specifically about this magnificent course. Through a bit of dumb luck we started our trip up in the Conwy area, winding our way south along the coast, saving Royal Porthcawl for the grand finale. For first time visitors wanting to play courses all throughout the country, I highly recommend starting in the north and ending in the south. Conwy is a wonderful course, a great place to start, and everything after R.P. would seem like a bit of a let down.

Arrived for our noon tee time in a downpour with near gale force winds (my weather app said it was 25-35 mph winds with gusts over 40). The kind gentleman in the pro shop allowed us to postpone until 1:30 when the weather was supposed to ease up. When we arrived back, we met a member who had just completed his round and was looking rather battered and weather-beaten and surely would have benefitted from windshield wipers on his eyeglasses. I made a joke to him about mad dogs and Englishmen going out in the midday sun, and he replied that I was being too kind and that the word I was looking for was 'idiots'.

Hooray for accurate forecasts, because we played the first two holes in a misty rain that petered out, though the wind, after easing slightly, remained a steady 2-3 club wind.

Royal Porthcawl is simply wonderful; there's an energy, a feel about the course that constantly lets you know you're in someplace special. The grey, moody skies and crashing waves added to its mystique. On the course, I was particularly taken by the collection of par 3s: so varied, so well bunkered, and so visually lovely. I managed a tidy birdie on #11, but took a 5 on #14, needing two to get out of the right bunker.

Royal Porthcawl is certainly the best course in Wales and one of a handful of the finest courses I have ever played. Simply loved my time there and hope I can back there again someday.

October 17, 2019

Freddie

2nd day of my Wales tour took me to the beautiful Royal Porthcawl. What a golf course this is. The condition was immaculate, beautiful tees, lovely fairways, speedy and pure greens. This adds to the already great golf course that Royal Porthcawl is. Hole 1 is a lovely par 4 littered with bunkers down the fairway and is a perfect opening hole. Hole 4 is a fantastic long par 3 with beautiful greenside bunkers giving it a really old feel to the great links course it is. What I also liked about this course was the great amount of yellow gorse bushes that there were, it almost felt like you were at Royal Dornoch and it gives it even more of a great linksy feel. All the par 3’s were awesome but my favourite par 3 would be the 14th hole, a nice short par 3 with many greenside bunkers around making it a tough green to hit as it is relatively small. The course is unbelievably good and made better by the great history the club has with awesome facilities to practice for. I highly reccomend paying the green fee to play there as it truly is spectacular and you will be so happy to have played there. I hope i’m able to return there in the future.

April 16, 2019

Ryan

What a course! you can see the sea from every hole, even though the course seems to have some houses surrounding it as you drive in the course somehow manages to mostly hide them. The 18th is also an incredible finish as you hit straight towards the sea, it makes you feel like you're hitting into the ocean. The 19th hole is so traditional with a small clubhouse where you can smell the age (in a good way of course).

February 19, 2019

Scarlett

I'd have to disagree with the editors in their opening note on this Royal Porthcawl webpage, as from my conversations with other golfers, many, many people know of or have played this spectacular links course: it's certainly not "relatively unknown" amongst serious golfers. Mongolian goat herders certainly...; golfers, no.

I'm not sure there's much more I can add to descriptions of the course, the pure nature of the site, or the unpretentious nature of the club: confirmed spectacular. I'd played in March and my morning tee time was delayed by an hour to allow the greens to thaw out from the overnight frost and with no time pressures I had a coffee to warm up, took some photos, chatted to the staff and the small number of others waiting to tee off, and did some practice putting in the sunshine: the usual golf camaraderie stuff.

Wonderful, pure, golf.

November 27, 2018

David Baxter

I have to agree with much of the March review 2018. I have played RP several times a year (and at various times of year) since my previous review of sept 2015 and the greens are consistently below average and therefore am reluctantly lowering my rating to a 5 ball. Course design remains fantastic and most of the course is in good condition (bunkers fabulous!) but the greens do not justify top marks.

November 18, 2018

Patrick Slamin

Having wanted to for ages I finally got the chance to play here as part of a 6 nations rugby weekend, and it didn’t disappoint.

The course is laid out in a kind of triangular formation, going out along the coast, back at an angle then zig zagging back in. The first four, hugging the beach, are amongst the best I have played anywhere - magnificent, proper links golf with sublime links turf, sea vistas and expectant fairway bunkers waiting to swallow up any errant shots.

The course subtly changes in character from about 5 onwards, becoming progressively less links like in both terrain and layout as you move back inland, though still boasting a handful of excellent holes and with nothing that could be called a weakness. The course then takes on a new lease of life as you walk down the fairway of 13 with a stonking stretch playing back out to the coast, 15 and 16 amongst the best on the course.

The last is in my view the weakest of the 18, a pokey hole crossing over the first kindly described as ‘quirky,’ though not detracting from what was a cracking round.

My one criticism (and definitely not what i was expecting) were the greens, which were disappointing given the calibre and reputation of the club - though my playing partner, who had played it many times, was definitely of the view this was the exception rather than the rule. Overall a quality course though and an absolute must on any itinerary of British Golf!

March 02, 2018

Michael Guluk

played and stayed 9/23/2017. the prevailing wind is sw so when you play with a strong ne wind you may as well give up any hope of scoring on this wonderful golf course. first 4 holes played downwind, impossible to stay on the greens. every other hole seemed to be into into the wind including 440 yd par 4's and 550 par 5's.

it was impossible.

a local showed me where bernard langer drove the ball on the 17th i hit driver 3 rescue to the same spot and i hit am reasonably long.

this is a must play golf course , i could join here.

clubhouse is great, dormy's are great the Welsh people are great. ( and I am Canadian)

October 10, 2017