Review for Royal St David's

This is my favourite course and I have played most of the best in Wales (playing Porthcawl in Feb so we'll see). We played 36 holes at the beginning of October and got a day ticket for about £50. The first thing to say is that the greens were unbelievable for that time of year - receptive and quick. We played it last year and loved the course but were a bit disappointed because the greens had been treated but this year the course was perfect. The clubhouse has that old feel to it but has everything you need, showers and food were good and the staffand pro were very friendly. Returning to the course this year I had the memory that the front 9 was a bit bland and the back 9 was nails but picturesque. I can now say for certain that the front 9 is not that easy, 1, 3 & 4 are all long holes into the wind and against the backdrop of Snowdonia, it is a fantastic 9 holes. Everyone knows how good the renowned back 9 is, teeing off on 12 is an awesome feeling and two of us managed to birdie it. 15 is my favourite hole in golf - just wish I could par it. Will definately be returning next year, have only given it an Eagle because it is the highest course I have played in the 100 so far.

Date: October 14, 2008