Review for Royal St George's

Played today in pretty strong winds, and it was good old fashioned tough links golf. I think handicaps go out the window when one of your party (of 7) who plays off a solid 4 handicap can’t reach a 500 yard par 5 with Driver, Driver and 5 iron!. I know some will say that you also have the wind with you, but I think RSG is cleverly laid out because I felt you played more holes in to the wind than with. We all agreed a very solid test of golf, and good value at the winter rate of £65 a head. Greens were very true and in good condition. The Pro and Caddiemaster were very friendly and welcoming, yes the club has rules, but hey ho, it’s the members club and if you don’t like some of their rules don’t play their course. Only my opinion but I didn’t find it stuffy or pompous at all. As for the overall rating I would have to say it is very solid and ticks all the boxes but has no wow factor like some of my favourites – RCD, Turnberry, Portrush and Kingsbarns. Also it is not as much fun as say North Berwick and I have to say, and some people may ask me to wash my mouth out with soap and water, I didn’t think it was as good as Tralee. Certainly doesn’t make my personal top 10. Also makes you realise how much of a factor aesthetics can be – maybe they shouldn’t I don’t know – but on a grey February day RSG is pretty grim compared to some of the courses mentioned above.

Date: February 27, 2007