Review for Royal St George's

Royal St George's has to be on every golfers list! I played it on the 31st March in near 40mph winds at times, and it even though at times I struggled to stand up and my ball was wobbling on the tee, let alone on the greens, it was simply amazing! The course is simply the best I have played! We started on the 10th tee and what a way to start! A great Par 4 with a raised green, which in the wind is incredibly hard to hit!! Then you move onto a cracking Par 3 of 242 yards! Then a great short hole, followed by three absolute brutes! Which combined total 1500 yards and they are two par 4's and a par 5! Then the beautiful Par 3 16th, and then the closing two holes which if I am honest I can't remember much of, but the 18th tee is certainly a very daunting tee shot bunkers line the fairway, and I certainly wouldn't want to have to par it to win the Open! The front nine though is in another league! The 1st with the thatched starters hut, and the dogleg 2nd, is about as 'gentle' as it gets. Then the 3rd is a brilliant Par 3. The green has two tiers and you play over 200 yards of rough to an island green surrounded by dunes and is the only par 3 on the Open rota without a bunker! Then you enter the teeth of the course! The fourth tee shot is the most daunting with the most viscous bunkers on the course, and there are plenty to chose from…. The 5th is a amazing dogleg par 4 where the approach is played through a gap between two dunes towards the sea. The 6th is possibly the finest Par 3 on the whole course, and then the 7th is a birdie opportunity par 5. And then the 8th is the hardest hole on the course, a semi-blind tee shot, followed by an approach of 150-175 yards to a green surrounded by dunes and bunkers. Then the 9th is a solid par 4 where hitting the green, as with most the other greens, is an absolute must! Then we ventured into the clubhouse, battered and bruised, and that was just the scorecard! However what a clubhouse! We had the best lunch imaginable in the dining room! In all I cannot help but think the only thing that prevents Royal St George's from being No.1 in England is perhaps the views beyond the course, but then again Birkdale is protected by dunes so there too views are limited. I will be back!

Date: March 31, 2010