Review for Royal St George's

I played RSG but in December last year. Anybody from the UK should know that the condition of any UK golf course will be worse in the winter than the summer. I experienced true greens (not fast but OK) and a course that was presented as well as I would have expected for the time of year. We paid £90 with lunch and we experienced a three club wind and lovely winter’s day. The members we met were friendly and even one came and chatted to us at our lunch table. It was an experience that I will hold dearly as I hadn’t played RSG before but have played RCP and Prince’s. Even in the winter with average course conditions, RSG is a class up from RCP and perhaps two up from Prince’s. I could write an essay on how memorable the playing experience was at RSG but dozens of people have already done that before me. RSG is not my favourite links course in Britain, I’d have to give that award to Royal Dornoch followed by Muirfield. In Ireland I prefer Ballybunion (Old), primarily because it has more drama from a landscape perspective. I’ve just counted up and have now played 34 courses in the current World Top 100 listed on this site and RSG is in my Top 10 on winter merit. I think the comments made by the previous reviewer are juvenile.

Date: February 15, 2012