Review for Royal Troon (Old)

I think Troon has had a bit of unfiar criticism on this site. The course is absolutely fantastic - both in terms of condtion and layout. I played in great weather in April and couldnt believe how good the condition of the course was. The feel of the place is complete class from the minute you arrive until you have your post round drink in the incredible clubhouse. Standout holes for me were 6,7,8 and 11 (11th is a brilliant hole)and in truth the back 9 is not as good as the front. The finish is tough but not as visually appealing as the first 12 holes but hitting up the last to the clubhouse is a great experience. The course has a lot more elevation changes than I was expecting and the views from the 7th tee were on a par with anywhere in the world. I couldnt compliment the course highly enough, it blew Turnberry away (which we played the following day) and I think it may be overall slightly better than Carnoustie (although Carnoustie's last 6 holes cant be beat). It is definately one of the best 3 courses on the open rota.

Date: May 18, 2011

Read all reviews about Royal Troon (Old)