Review for Royal Westmoreland

I played Royal Westmoreland a couple of weeks ago during a holiday in Barbados. The approach to the course through the ‘estate’ is of course impressive and the clubhouse looking out over the course provided a wonderful, relaxed but stylish feel. The staff I encountered were friendly, polite, relaxed (there’s no such thing as a stressed Bajan!) and helpful. By the way, the clubhouse overlooks the par-5 9th fairway and green so I wonder if the course layout has been swapped since the previous reviewers visit? I had played the Country Club course at Sandy Lane a few days earlier so was able to compare the two (see my review of the Country Club course for more info). Royal Westmoreland, as is the case of a lot of ‘resort’ courses is generous from the tee but does require good approach play to make a score. There were a few holes that required a carry to the fairway but most of these provided a safe side and a risk side requiring less or more carry to the fairway. On the front nine a number of holes took advantage of a natural rock-wall sided ‘valley’ to add interest to the holes. The greens when I played were in a smooth and consistently good condition however they were a bit slow for my liking. All in all though this is a cracking course that will test you without ruining your day(!) and in general is a tougher test than the Sandy Lane Country Club course. In reality there are better courses in other parts of the world that don’t get any where near charging the $250 green fee but if you are on Barbados then that’s the going rate, and we only live once!

Date: February 23, 2011