Review for Royal Worlington & Newmarket

A combination of this course being on the top 100 list and the course description mentioning it as one of the best 9 holes layouts it left an itch I needed to scratch.

Living in Norfolk and considering myself quite knowledgeable about courses surrounding me, I was quite surprised that I hadn't heard of Royal Worlington before.

In all honestly I was disappointed. The first few holes show potential and I thought it would really blow me away for the last 6 or 7 holes. This wasn't the case as I really didn't enjoy the layout of the two holes that share fairways, it makes them incredibly easy to play and they weren't long holes anyway.

I found the condition of the course in May quite disappointing with fairways very patchy.

The reception we got there was fairly pleasant but we didn't really see anyone there later on a Sunday evening. A few positives to note about the course include the last hole, a moderately short par 4 with your second shot over the b road driving through the course, well placed bunkers and some lovely looking tall trees behind to separate the car park from the green. The other being the greens. Although under my expectation of a green for this time of year, they provided a great test being small and undulating.

I would consider giving this another go in the peak of summer to give it a second chance but outside of that I don't think i'd bother.

Date: January 13, 2020