Review for Royal Worlington & Newmarket

There is a wonderful serenity to this golfing experience which is utterly compelling. Firstly, this is essentially a 1 or 2 ball course (I noticed some foursome pairings on the course when I played), which does wonders for speed of play and (obviously), limits the numbers on the course. As such, I played my first 9 in just over the hour and the second 9 just under the hour and a half mark - very refreshing. I enjoyed the view of the majority of holes from the first tee and, as with St Andrews Old and the magnificent Oitavos on the Lisbon coast, holes share fairways. In my view, there is one relatively ordinary hole (the 2nd), which is a long straightaway par 3, whose only feature is a severe slope on the green, which attracts balls landing 15 yards in from the fringe. Ok it makes the hole "strong" but the general blandness of the hole was out of character. The greens are sensational, again probably as a consequence of reduced traffic. "Less is more" is the theme regarding the bunkering however they are strategically placed. It seems incongruous to talk about money when discussing RW&N but the green fee is extremely good value. Despite its inclusion in another rankings list, it is some way off a top 100 GB&I course. Notwithstanding that, it is a memorable golfing experience and a course I could play over and over again and enjoy it without diminution of enjoyment.

Date: September 08, 2020