Founded in 1900 to the west of the town at Warruk, Sale Golf Club moved in 1950 to its current location at Longford, overlooking the La Trobe River on the south side of Sale. The course, designed by Sam Berriman with assistance from the club's first curator Eric Horne, extends to around 5,750 metres from the back tees, playing to a par of 70, with only one par five on both nines.
Thanks to a generous donation from the local John Leslie Foundation, Sale was able to install and commission a $330,000 automatic irrigation system in 2020, which efficiently delivers water to tees, fairways and greens, allowing green keeping staff to attend to other aspects of managing the course.
Highlight holes include the two par fours that are routed alongside the river, at the 354-metre 4th and 295-metre 5th. The 421-metre 8th is a far tougher two-shotter on the outward half with its tight, snaking fairway positioned next to the main Rosedale-Longford Road.
The back nine is laid out inside the front nine. The par three 11th and 14th are demanding short holes (often played into the prevailing wind) and the closing three holes offer a real test at the end of the round, as their stroke index ratings of 1, 3 and 7 might suggest.