Salem - Massachusetts - USA

Massachusetts (MA) 01960,

• Greg Cincotta

• Donald Ross

• Kevin Wood

Salem Country Club dates back to 1895 when a dozen of Salem’s wealthy citizens decided the city should have a golf club. The esteemed architect Donald Ross laid down today’s course in 1925 across 350 acres of pleasantly undulating New England terrain. The resulting 18 holes perhaps represent Ross’s greatest creation.

The greens but more specifically the green sites are considered perfection, each of Salem’s holes are thoughtfully designed and cleverly routed and not a single hole would ever be considered weak.

Salem starts strongly with two challenging par fours and ends even stronger with three brutal two-shot holes. With no easy pars available in the middle of the round either, it is no surprise that Salem Country Club has hosted a number of important national championships including the 2001 U.S. Senior Open, which Bruce Fleisher won by one shot after shooting level par. Nobody broke Salem's par that week, including Jack Nicklaus and Tom Watson.

2001 marked the US Senior Open’s first visit to Salem Country Club and the state of Massachusetts when Bruce Fleisher won his first and only senior major. The event returned to Peabody in 2017.

Four holes to watch at Salem Country Club - 2017 US Senior Open

Reviews for Salem

Description: The greens but more specifically the green sites are considered perfection, each of Salem Country Club’s holes are thoughtfully designed and cleverly routed... Rating: 4 out of 6 Reviews: 1

Salem Country Club was designed by Donald Ross. I’m usually not a big Donald Ross fan, but there are two or three of his courses I really like and Salem is one of them. Ross must have spent a lot of time here, because the course has a terrific layout and is fantastically manicured. I was teamed up with Buzz and Larry, both retired and in their late-70s. The course was deserted but for the three of us and a couple of foursomes. The U.S. Senior Open was scheduled to take place at Salem in 2001 and someone from the USGA was out on the course taking photographs. Larry and Buzz played from 5,800 yards, hit it nice and easy, and were a hundred yards down the middle all day. I played from 6,500 yards, and they both marveled at how far I hit the ball. I glowed a little inside each time they commented on the length of my shots because I’m usually the shortest hitter in my foursomes. On the 3rd hole Larry said, “ I can’t take a longer backswing because my arm hits my pacemaker.” We got around in about three hours. We were joined for lunch by four members of their regular golf group, all retired except one. He was 91, still practiced law and played golf two days a week. He was a real inspiration to me. I hope I am still playing golf at age 91. I shot 87, including a 9 on number 15. Don’t ask; I’ve blocked it out. Larry Berle.
Salem
November 15, 2014

1 person found this review helpful and 1 did not
Keith Baxter
November 15, 2014
The above review is an edited extract from A Golfer’s Dream, which has been reproduced with the author’s kind permission. A Golfer’s Dream, by Larry Berle, tells the story of how a regular guy conquered America’s Top 100 Golf Courses (following Golf Digest’s 2001/2002 list). Larry has exclusively rated for us every course in the hundred, using our golf ball rating system. However, Larry did not rate the 100 courses against every golf course he has played, but instead he rated them in relation to each other within the hundred. Consequently, in some cases, his rating may seem rather low. A Golfer’s Dream is available in Kindle format and also on Kindle Unlimited via Amazon... click the link for more.