Review for Salobre (Old)

I agree with Jim. This course is better than it's 14/14 rating. I have rated 4 1/2 on basis that a stop in the hotel and playing both golf courses is definitely worth doing. The course as a whole on its own would be a 4.

I love the Old Course. whilst the New is more fun (and quirky) this is a proper resort course nestled on the canyon hillside and valley bottom. The course is meticulously maintained and the greens were quick when i played it.

I have walked the course when I have played so it's a 5 minute walk from the hotel to the 1st tee.

The opening hole is easy enough and should set your round up with an opening par. the 1st green offers some wonderful views across the course and to the sea. I played early morning and watching the sun come up casting shadows initially across the course was a wonderful sight.

My favourite holes are the par 3 8th across the pond, the par 4 downhill 10th where even for a short hitter you can drive the green and a birdie opportunity awaits and the 11th which is a strong par 3

The course isn't long which is good for scoring, but the ball doesn't run very far when on landing on the fairways given the type of grass, so in that respect it plays a little longer than you expect.

I have stayed 2 years running at Salobre and played both courses 3 times. The Old is the 'proper' golf course and is great fun to play. Pace of play is slow despite buggies so I played early morning to get out ahead of the other players and have the course to myself. Follow that with afternoon golf on the New and a great day is in prospect for you.

Date: July 12, 2019

Read all reviews about Salobre (Old)