Review for Salobre (Old)

My wife and I fancied some winter sun and having been to Tenerife last year decided to visit Gran Canaria for a week. Salobre seemed the natural place to stay with its 5 star badge and 36 holes on site. Sadly, the hotel was not up to 5 star standard and the golf was equally poor.

The Old course is the better of the two at Salobre, but when we played was in very poor condition. The greens were OK, but the fairways were very rough with several species of grass invading the course. We were told that they had had problems with drought (but what would you expect next to the Sahara dessert?) and the restrictions on fertiliser just introduced.

The course itself had some interesting holes, but sadly most enjoyment of the course was ruined by the standard of golfer being allowed to play. We have no problem being paired up with any nationality, but to watch as your playing companions regularly took double figures hole after hole and insisted on putting out for a five hour round sucks most of the enjoyment out of the game. The hotel had the cheek to request our handicaps before arrival!!

If the course were in better condition and we could have played at 4 hour pace then I may have awarded 3.5 balls, but 3 is the most that I can award it.

Date: February 02, 2020

Read all reviews about Salobre (Old)