San Lorenzo - Algarve - Portugal

Portugal

• Mr. Antonio Santos

• Joe Lee, Rocky Roquemore

• Albano Rodrigues

San Lorenzo is a classy golf course, routed in a figure of eight on sandy undulating terrain alongside the Atlantic, with fairways bordered by umbrella pines and the marshland bird sanctuary of the Ria Formosa.

“The course was designed by an American, Joe Lee,” wrote Michael Gedye in the Golfer’s Guide Portugal, “and built by another, Rocky Roquemore. Few golf architects are presented with such an attractive setting on which to lay out a resort golf course.”

Rocky Roquemore handled most of Lee's design projects outside Florida and San Lorenzo is one of his best, which was once bracketed alongside some of the world’s top golf courses. Times do, of course, change. When the course first opened for play in 1988 it quickly became the Algarve’s beacon of shining light, standing head and shoulders above the area’s other mediocre golfing fare.

“The result combines length, a fair measure of strategic difficult and highly enjoyable, scenic golf,” continued Gedye, “The terrain is ideal; rolling sandy land sweeping over slopes well-wooded with umbrella pine. There are holes which border the constantly changing seaside lagoon and marshland bird sanctuary of the Rio Formosa and three real testers which make full use of the inland lake that is a central feature of the property.”

Exciting golf and stunning views open up at the par three 5th where the backdrop is the beach and the sea beyond. The excitement continues at the next two holes which take you past the threatening waters of the Ria Formosa. The finish is also particularly strong and entertaining with the opposite side of the Ria Formosa coming into play on the 17th and 18th. The 18th is a sneaky 400-yard plus par four with water all the way up the left and a semi-island green. It’s a classic risk and reward finish, which brings San Lorenzo to a close.

Reviews for San Lorenzo

Description: San Lorenzo is a classy golf course, routed in a figure of eight on sandy undulating terrain​ alongside the Atlantic, with fairways bordered by umbrella pines and the marshland bird sanctuary of the Ria Formosa. Rating: 7.2 out of 10 Reviews: 37
Henry George Bale

On approaching the golf course I thought “wow this looks amazing.” We had an early tee time, the grass had a fresh coat of dew and the sun was emerging over the course. The first was a par 473 meters of the yellows and 494 meters of the white tee play about 540 yards from the white tee. A slight dog leg made this a strong opening hole. The condition of the course was great though due to the time of year a few worm casts were on the fair way the greens were true and rolled at a good pace. The layout was stunning you were able to see the sea from some holes. Some holes proved a challenge and required precision of the tee. Overall San Lorenzo is a good course with a good design, good condition and is a good challenge.

November 05, 2020

Peter Handcock

San Lorenzo is really nice, and has some great holes (4, 5, 6, 7). However, the holes with water (8, 17 and 18) really do not belong, and changes the course from a traditional Algarve course to more of a resort style. There are lots of good holes, and I think it's current ranking is fair.

April 29, 2020

Mark White

I played the San Lorenzo course many years ago, before I had played so many of the world’s best golf courses. I had a favorable impression of the golf course designed by Joseph Lee/Rocky Roquemore although I wonder if I went back what I might think of it now. When I played it there was not as much housing around it as there is now. I gave it favorable marks for the routing that was employed to get the maximum from the water both in terms of views and use as a defense. Every few holes you feel as if you are hitting in a different direction due to the two loops on each side. I thought there were several holes that were really good despite the few weak ones. But I stress that it was one of the first “good” courses I had played.

I do worry about any course that has so many reviews mentioning poor conditioning as well as poor customer service. Based on those reviews, I went online to look for other recent reviews and found a six minute youtube video from August 4, 2019 that shows every hole. In this video it shows the poor conditioning of the golf course with many of the tee boxes are burnt out. Many areas of the fairways are brown or burnt out. The video does not show many greens although the few it showed looked a bit thick.

On my visit, I did not experience either poor service or poor conditioning as I played it in the month of May. There was no one behind me on the course when I played as a single from the back tees and I went through two groups. In my notes I did notice that there were a lot of tree lined fairways, which is not something I favor. I did give it high marks for difficulty/challenge from the use of the land with the exception of 17/18. I thought the bunkering throughout the course was good on some holes but lacking strategically placed bunkers on other holes. The greens were fine but not the most challenging.

Unlike some other reviews I won’t comment on every hole, but only on the holes where I made notes: good and bad.

The first hole, a par 5 of 540/518 is a double dogleg that would be very difficult for the long hitter to reach in two unless they can really shape shots as well as hit a long way. There are nine bunkers on the hole. The tee shot needs to be hit down the left side where one bunker lies and there are two bunkers on the right. There are two bunkers short left of the skinny green just after the narrowing of the fairway and then four bunkers surrounding the green. I thought this was a hole that required good shot-making.

The next hole, a par 3 of 177/145 is a bad hole because it has “safe” areas short left and back right to a green that should have been had more bunkers instead of the two, one on the front and one on the back. In addition, the second set of tees was too easy for the size of the green.

The third hole, a par 4 of 381/348 is a severe dogleg left with bushes creeping into the fairway before the dogleg and three bunkers on the right side yet the fairway is pretty wide. I did not understand why the routing made the hole trickier than it needed to be other than to make room for housing.

The fourth hole, a par 4 of 371/348 which continues a slight downhill stretch from the first tee, is a gentler dogleg right with bunkers on the right of the fairway for the tee shot and by the green. The fairway tilts a bit left to right. The fairway was too wide for the length of the hole, but I suppose that is why it is resort golf.

The fifth hole, a short par 3 of 141/118 has the first view of the beach and ocean. Other than a nice view it was not much of a golf hole playing down across a dip in the land to a plateaued green.

I liked the sixth hole, a par 4 of 422/399 that plays as a downhill dogleg left but paralleling the beach and ocean, ultimately ending at a small green that I felt was too small.

The seventh was my favorite hole on the course, a par 4 of 377/359 that bends a bit to the left but the green is set into the marsh/beach with 3 bunkers behind the green. The fairway also parallels the marsh/sand/ocean. From the tee it almost looks like the fairway is only as wide as a ribbon as it feels so narrow.

A long par 5 comes next at 574/542 and I did not like the eighth hole. How many doglegs are too many? It seems to go left or perhaps right, then right, then perhaps left, or is it straight over the water to the green? It is dramatic but I thought it was too much. You do see a few lovely birds here but you also see houses.

The ninth hole had the best shaped green side bunkers on the course.

I liked the tenth hole, a par 5 of 567/538 that is a slight dogleg left and does not provide a view of the green until late in the hole.

Eleven is a medium length par 4 with the back side of the green having a very close out of bounds as there is not adequate room if you go long. I do not like the hole for that reason although it is well bunkered by the green.

I do like twelve, a par 4 of 432/403 that plays to a fairway that has a ridge line creating a chasm on the left while the right side is steeply sloped up. There is out of bounds down the entire left side. The green lacked good bunkering with only one small bunker on either side. It is my second favorite hole on this course.

I did not take notes on holes 13 and 14, a par 4 and a par 3 so I must have felt they were not memorable.

Fifteen is the final par 5 at 517/498. I liked the downhill nature of the fairway playing back up to the green. What I really liked were the ten bunkers and the placement of them in the fairway for the tee shot, for the second shot, and by the green. Other than the first hole, this was the only other hole I felt they had gotten the bunkering correct.

I thought there should have been four bunkers on 16, a longer par 3 of 208/188, instead of two.

The par 4 seventeenth should be redone…….see my comment on eighteen.

I think people either love or hate eighteen. It is a 406/382 par 4 with water down the left side but then the water turns back requiring a second shot to clear it. It has another small green with three bunkers nearly surrounding all of the green. It is a heroic hole, visually attractive and in high wind it is difficult so I gave it high marks for that. But I am in the camp of not favoring this hole as I felt they got the routing wrong for the final two holes. I felt the previous hole should have been built differently with two possibilities. It should have been shortened by 20-25 yards making it more of a temptation for longer hitters to try to drive it, A second option could have ben to build a tee further left on 17 to add more yardage and make the tee shot more of a cape hole requiring you to carry the water out to the right. The eighteenth should be a 440 yard (or even longer) hole with a larger green. Both of these changes would have created more risk:reward in the final two holes. In essence, I think the last two holes as not as good as they could have been. Perhaps they could not build a different tee for seventeen out on the path, but if they could do it, they should.

Finally, as noted in my comments, I think the course suffers a bit from a lack of consistency, but I do not think it is a routing issue, I think it is due to lack of bunkers and not enough undulation on the greens. That youtube video is pretty scary so if one is thinking of playing San Lorenzo, better find out about the conditions in advance. If in good condition, it is definitely worth playing despite the inconsistencies and a few other flaws.

October 31, 2019

Halvor Naess

As an avid follower of this site, which time and again proves to be an excellent guide for course reviews, I must admit this one fell way short of its expectations. I must echo the sentiments of Richard below; the greens were slow, the fairways worn and the tee boxes were awful. Complete waste of money and time considering how Algarve is littered with brilliant golf courses. Nothing to dispute Monte Rei being the no 1 course in Portugal, but how San Lorenzo made top 10, let alone top 2 baffles me. Stay away, much better courses at a fraction of the money in this wonderful golf region.

July 20, 2019

Gary Ross

Played this course a number of times over the last 10 years and 2010-2015 was one of my favourite courses and a 5-6 during this team frame. Tee boxes used to be beautiful carpets and the greens emaculate. When I last played in 2018 things appeared to have degenerated and in a state of relative disrepair. The course is still a great track and well worth playing but it would be great if it restored itself to its former glory.

July 13, 2019

M Murph

The course played in between a links and parkland course. Played last week when it was wet from lots of rain and noted fairways were in bad condition (I am not entirely sure this was because of the rain as they were very patchy with different types of grass growing all over the place). Greens were in very good condition – quick and tricky with wind whipping up quite heavily lead to many three puts. From my one experience here I think the course is generally over rated vs. previous reviews, but would like to see conditions a different time to make another assessment. Thought the finishing 18th hole was a bit gimmicky the way they the water and lack of bail out area if you don’t hit a good tee shot (or even hit a good lay up.

March 16, 2018

Dan Hare

It's been 15 years or so since our only previous visit; with a lot of golfing water under the bridge, would it suffer from a re-examination ? Other than slightly worn greens and tees, not at all, and if anything it's even better than we remembered. The 15th is a little dull, once again on the Algarve expensive range balls and buggies, and the changing room was described as "non league" by one of our party, but this is a top quality golf course and on a sunny day like we had there can't be many places more enjoyable to spend a few hours with friends and redistributing golf balls to the elements.

October 23, 2017

Richard
April 05, 2019

On my third trip to Quinta do Lago I was really looking forward to playing San Lorenzo for the first time. On arrival at the course, the timber build clubhouse wasn't quite what I expected. The driving range next to the clubhouse was a joke. It wasn't level, it was covered in white sand and with trees immediately ahead in the target area, it looks as if it was put there without any thought. The course itself was in very average condition, the fairways were patchy, the greens much slower than Laranjal & Quinta North which we played on previous days and all in all it was disappointing. The following day we played Quinta South, as we have done on previous tours as our final round, which is definitely the best course in the region. My advice would be not to play San Lorenzo until the Arab owners invest money in the course. As part of our package we paid £134 for the round. It just wasn't worth it. And as for the ranking of being 5th best in Spain it needs serious adjustment down the order!

April 05, 2019

Richard, that sounds concerning, it certainly wasn't that bad when we were there, although if driving ranges and changing facilities were included in the ranking criteria San Lorenzo would definitely lose positions !

Simon Bale

The Algarve is well known as a quality golfing destination so, with the increasing number of newly built courses here, maintaining a position near the top of the area rankings isn't going to be easy. One thing that San Lorenzo has in its favour is the natural charm and character that's so often missing in the newly designed courses, as in the quest for length and pristine conditioning, it's becoming rare for a course to use the original lie of the land to sculpt holes in the way the designers of San Lorenzo have managed.

San Lorenzo Golf Course - Photo by reviewer

When the course at San Lorenzo was first built there were very few properties on the land here, allowing the designer freedom to chose the routing through the valleys and along the coastline, making use of the subtle topography of the land and the natural wild and rugged terrain, to offer a unique layout that keeps the interest and anticipation of the golfer.

On first impressions the venue feels a little dated, with a quaint clubhouse, a functional driving range and a small short game area. This lowered my expectations, which can often be a good thing. The first four holes offered little I wouldn't expect to see at lesser ranked Algarve courses, built in the second half of the twentieth century.

That changes when you reach the tee of the par 3, 5th, where you get your first glance at the Atlantic in the backdrop of this delightful short hole, with a green perched at the top of a valley, well protected by trees and bunkers.

Grab your par and move on, as the tee box on the par 4 that follows is a sight to behold, elevated high on the side of a hill and requiring a confident and accurate tee shot, to give a short iron approach to a green that juts out into the barranca - play it well and you'll be rewarded but one slight miss hit and you're likely to be reloading.

San Lorenzo Golf Course - Photo by reviewer

From the mid part of the front 9 the round takes a huge leap forwards in terms of quality and excitement and doesn't slow down. The 8th is an extremely demanding and tactical par 5, offering the golfer choices of strategy from tee to green. Longer hitters can fly the bunkers on the left hand side of the fairway and open the possibility of reaching in 2, but this would require ultimate precision, as the green is guarded by water short right and OB long left, making it a tough test even when played in regulation.

There is no weak hole as the round continues into the back 9, but the standout hole comes at 12, as you play the rounds longest par 4 along the boundary of the course, with OB running down the left of the entire hole. The approach is long and uphill and requires two consecutive exceptional shots to achieve a regulation par here.

As with any classic course, the finale doesn't disappoint. Working your way from the 13th to 17th continues to be a delight of intelligent course design. The water comes back in to play on 17 and 18, which make the final two holes the perfect stage for match play, or a very though test if posting a gross score, as the final shot of the round requires precise line and length to a small green, protected by water and heavily bunkered.

It's quite unlikely you could walk off this course having not played all of the shots and clubs in your armoury, such is the diversity in layout. To sum up, I feel this course is exceptional and, unfortunately, they don't make them like this anymore! [SB]

October 05, 2017

Ben Swanton

This was my first trip to the Algarve and being an avid amateur golfer (11 handicap), I was aware of the high number of quality golf courses I could play, and San Lorenzo did not disappoint. Despite the torrential rain in the 2 days prior to playing, the course played surprising quickly and was immaculately presented. The fairways were generous and rightly penalised you if you strayed too far left or right, and the rough whilst challenging (bermuda grass) was fair. Bunkers were strategically well placed throughout the course from the tee boxes, and again around the Greens making club and shot selection pivotal throughout. Like the rest of the course, the Greens were challenging but fair, and again rewarded you for patience and right shot selection.

Perhaps the most exciting part of the golf course was the way it weaves through the Ria Formosa Nature Reserve and the stunning holes that this presents. Normally, there are one or two holes that you remember from a good course, here I can think of at least 5 that will live long in the memory. Holes 5 - 7, start with a short Par 3 overlooking the water, followed by the two par 4s of hole 6 and 7, that offer a risk / reward off the tee (if you take Driver) again overlooking the water. You then finish off the course in the heart of the Nature Reserve with Holes 17 and 18, which again offer a risk/reward for those taking Driver with a prominent lake to overcome.

Overall, San Lorenzo was a joy to play - a wonderfully presented, thinking man's golf course that offers a true test no matter what your handicap, and if nothing else will leave you with some wonderful memories.

October 24, 2016

Dan Hare

This is a review of having played San Lorenzo a few years ago, so can't comment on the current condition, but interesting to see that many of our observations are still current.

The pro shop was unfriendly, expensive and insisted on seeing handicap certificates before play despite our being late due to getting lost in the sandy wilderness of the area courses with the confusing signage.

That said, having raced up the first to catch up with the player we were we joined with we really enjoyed the course, the tight lagoon holes a particular highlight.

Well recommended, and if you stayed at Penina very good value too.

September 24, 2016