Review for Sand Hills

I had the opportunity to play Sand Hills in July of 2011......while the design is definitely challenging it leads me to believe that some of the best holes are ones that were left on the design table. With Coore and Crenshaw designing and doing a layout that incorporated over 100 holes I fear that the front 9 is decidedly weak considering..... That being said it incorporates a little bit of everything into its design and as a result plays tough.....the terrain is beautiful and the back nine is a much better loop than the front..... My issue isn't that Sand Hills is a great course.....it is indeed. I only question it's ranking in relation to other courses that I have been lucky enough to play over the last few years....... Kingsbarns, the Bandon courses and Whistling Straits all are better courses in my opinion.....while it could be said that the water plays into how they are reviewed I can't believe that if you took any of them and placed them in an inland location that they would be at least as good as this course.....In fact Ballyneal just down the road is at least as nice of a design as sand hills......and the accommodations and service there are exponentially better.... My own personal opinion is that Sand Hills is a Top 40 course but is nowhere near a Top 10 course......

Date: February 19, 2012