Review for Sandiway

We played Sandiway on a beautiful May afternoon and found this typical parkland course, flanked by trees on every hole, to be in immaculate condition. The condition of the tees, fairways and greens could not be faulted. The sandy soil ensured that despite recent heavy rainfall, there had been no detrimental effect to the course. Sandiway is a busy members’ Club, and we received an enthusiastic welcome from the pro Gareth Jones.

From the first hole, an excellent downhill par 4, the course felt special and the good holes continued throughout, although I preferred the front nine. My mild criticisms extend to the unusual complaint that the greens did not have enough movement in them, there were a number of blind tee shots and although the holes are consistently good there are few that are memorable.

Sandiway is a solid examination of one’s golfing ability, that will keep its players honest, and if they then play well will reward them with a very satisfying experience and maybe an excellent score. One of our Fourball, an 8 handicap golfer, hit his straps on the back nine and came in with an under par gross score from holes 10 to 18. I could only dream of such heroics but still thoroughly enjoyed playing here.

Date: May 23, 2021