Review for Sandy Lane (Country Club)

I played the Country Club course at Sandy Lane a couple of weeks ago during a holiday in Barbados. Driving up hill away from the West coast of the island, the 2 courses are quite elevated and as a consequence the cool and elegant clubhouse provides wonderful views back down to the Caribbean Sea in the distance. This is not cheap golf, it is $250 a round plus a $40 caddie fee (plus tip) and therefore I had high expectations that were almost met. The staff and experience in the clubhouse is excellent, -friendly, well organised and efficient. Brandon my caddie was polite, friendly and knowledgeable about the course and the island. The course is well laid out, generous off the tees (like most ‘resort’ courses) with excellent greens that are challenging, consistent and (when I played) an excellent speed, fast but not scary! I would say that Royal Westomoreland is a tougher challenge from the tee but the greens on the Country Club course were better and certainly quicker. So, did it meet my expectations? Not quite. It was a great morning and but for a couple of silly chips I would have played to my 6 handicap (including 3 birdies – thanks to Brandon for the lines!!) however from a challenge perspective I have played better courses around the world and for considerably less money. However, this is Barbados, that’s the price of golf and as I said about Royal Westmoreland, we only live once!

Date: February 23, 2011

Read all reviews about Sandy Lane (Country Club)