Review for Santander

I played this course after a long haul flight and 36 holes at Real Hipica the day before and even after this it was the best round I have played so far this year and due to some lack of putting and 2 very silly mistakes it was not a low round but at least a very good one.

Since I started played the course looked very familiar and after Santander Golf Course - Photo by reviewer some holes I remembered the look and feel at Son Gual in Mallorca and this plays very similar. I even thought it was the same designer but later during the round found it was Seve and Rees Jones.

It is a great piece of land and very scenic. And trying not to be influenced by my good round I really liked the challenge the course presented to me but not sure if it is a great design after all or something most good golfers will find unique.

Please don't get me wrong, it is a beautiful course, mantained in championship conditions and it presents a very demanding challenge to golfers. But it is something I have seen before and that you can find many of these around the world.

Said this, I found great challenge in many tee shots especially and some par 3s over water where it was black or white, no chances of landing safe if it was not on the green.

Par 5s were maybe the biggest surprise and higher challenge, Santander Golf Course - Photo by reviewer with 12th from the tip tees something like 670yds with a 250yds carry over water with OB on the right side! I played all 4 in a disappointing 1 over.

Greens were rolling extremely good and fast, every blade of grass was just perfect and if you seek for challenge and maintenance this course is at the top.

All the same I found some special holes not needing length to be great like par 4 10th with a creek crossing fairway at 270yds from the Medal Tees which I played. Both par 3s 6th and 17th were maybe the best ones, with forced carries over water but not so long. Par 3 3rd like 220yds up the hill not from the longest tee was just too much and with nothing special in it.

One of the best, if not the best, was par 4 13th from elevated
Santander Golf Course - Photo by reviewer tee shot to a green sorrounded by water. And par 5 18th with another lake protecting the green where if going for it you need distance and also precision to stop the ball before bunkers or even OB.

Said this, a truly great experience and very recomendable for golfers with food at the very nice terrace at the highest quality.

The Sports part has maybe the best facilities in Spain, I couldn't count the paddle courts and tennis ones, many football fields and just everything at the highest quality. Golf in Madrid gave me a good surprise with both courses at Real Hipíca which I played plus just site inspections at La Moraleja, Puerta de Hierro and Centro Nacional de Golf were Jon Rahm won the Spanish Open just weeks ago.

Date: May 28, 2018